GuitarFetish.com Reviews...

fenderbender9

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't really heard of any GFS stuff failing over time too often. I have a set of Fat PAFs (the original version of the currently named Fat PATs) that I bought 6 years ago, no problems there and I can't complain about the tone for what I paid. I also have their 9v portable amp, it sounds OK for what it is, but the onboard tuner is garbage and the lackluster "distortion" drains the battery quickly. I used to have their stomp box tuner as well, it was fast tracking and easy to see but I traded it to a buddy for an eq pedal he had laying around gathering dust.

When I ordered the mini-amp the first one died on me shortly after I got it. I have no idea what happened with it, but they exchanged it without much hassle, although they never contacted me to tell me when they received the broken amp, and they told me that the replacement was being shipped back, but not until a day after I had already got it. The e-mail support was pretty lacking compared to how it was in the past, but it wasn't a nightmare or anything. The replacement amp has worked flawlessly for the last 6 months I've had it.

• Members

I have bought a few things from GuitarFetish.com and its all well! The guy who runs the site is on here every once in a while. Everything goes smoothly just like at rondomusic.com.

I have bought from them twice. They have amazing pups, but no matter what you order you should throw in a cheap cable or two. They are very nice and super cheap!!!

• Members

I'm having my first experience with them now. Came to know about them from info posted here. I recently got a Gitano LP (in my avatar, good guitar too!) and wanted to stick some P90 type pups in it. I got a pair of Dream 90's from them and one came without the pickup trim ring mounting screws. An email to them and they were in the mail the same day with delivery confimation. That's "Super Service"! When they get here I can "reconfigure" the Gitano and see what these pups are all about. I need the mounting screws because I'm going to put the Gitano pups in another guitar and I need the gold screws. The fun is about to begin!

Steve

• Members

I really like GF. They've had great, quick service everytime I've used them. Some of the hardware isn't the greatest but hey, it makes sense when you see the prices. Shipping costs seem to be a little high too.

• Members

GFS has some pretty solid parts at some very tasty prices. I bought a set of tuners for my parts guitar from them, and they are very good tuners for the less than $30 I paid for them. I got one of their "cheap" prewired pick guards. I would not recommend them, the pups in them are rather muddy, being they are not GFS's pups.

I have GFS pups in two of my guitars, a set of crunchy pafs (too hot IMO) and a vintage 59. They're not in the same guitar, but the v59 compares favorably to the SD 59 I have. The GFS pup is good enough in the guitar it's in that I don't even care to bother a/b'ing them in the same guitar.

• Members

I really like the Surf 90's. I have a Fat PAF in my son's Peavey Predator plus and it sounds pretty good. My daughter's pink strat has a set of the cheap vintage alnico strat pickups and they sound nice as well for the price point. Some of the other parts, i.e. bridges and tuners are available cheaper here though:

http://www.azguitarparts.com

• Members

I bought a brass trem block from them. It worked great and was like 70 bucks cheaper than I could find one anywhere else. Never bought anything else from them, but I had a positive experience with my one purchase.

• Members

I've dealt with Rondo before and loved it. Never done anything with guitarfetish.

Everything from cables to guitars, how does their stuff hold up?

i ordered quite a large batch of stuff from them a few months ago and a lot of it was just junk. I ordered the 'analog' delay pedal which was a complete tone sucker, a pedal power adapter that rattled when i shook it, and a gfs tuner that didn't save its settings whenever you stomped it on or off (not sure if its intended to do so but still very annoying). the random other stuff i grabbed were fine (cheap short pedal patch cords, a tele bridge with stainless steel saddles etc)

i will not be ordering from gfs again.

• Members

I tried out several of their pups models and was very disappointed, especially with the minihumbuckers. I never got the whole "good for the price" argument. I wouldn't run out and buy dog shit just because it's on sale.

On the other hand, I was very impressed by their Mean 90s. Great pup for just pocket change. Their customer service was top notch when I dealt with them as well. Friendly, helpful and the owner was frequently on these forums answering questions, although lately I've read a lot of posts complaining about it now.

I've always been curious about buying one of their guitars as a modding project but there are basically only two types of reviews posted about them here...

1) Beginner players or teens that buy them as their first or second guitars and gush over how amazing they are and every bit as good as the best Fender and Gibson Custom Shop offerings.:facepalm:

2) Guys that buy them, point out numerous faults and claim they're worthless or at best, fall back on the "good for the money" argument.

"Attention shoppers, dog shit blue light special on aisle five!"

If I saw one at a store, I'd surely give it a try to see if its worth modding and make up my own mind but I don't think it's worth sending in a couple of hundred bucks just to find out, especially when there are many other good, inexpensive, guitars in the market.

• Members

The thing to always keep in mind with GFS is that you aren't going to get Suhr, Callaham, or Fralin quality (sometimes people are just bitchy cause they paid $200 for a $200 guitar wanting it to be a $2000 guitar). I have some of there stuff and it works just fine (Actually, I LOVE my Fatbody neck pickup) but don't expect the worlds best guitars, effect pedals, hardware, pickups, etc. for the price point. The only thing I tried that I really didn't like were their cables. I bought several of the higher priced ones and they were all pretty noisy. I know it was the cables because I soon as I bought a few nicer, more higher end cables the buzz went away.

• Members

The thing to always keep in mind with GFS is that you aren't going to get Suhr, Callaham, or Fralin quality (sometimes people are just bitchy cause they paid $200 for a $200 guitar wanting it to be a $2000 guitar). I have some of there stuff and it works just fine (Actually, I LOVE my Fatbody neck pickup) but don't expect the worlds best guitars, effect pedals, hardware, pickups, etc. for the price point. The only thing I tried that I really didn't like were their cables. I bought several of the higher priced ones and they were all pretty noisy. I know it was the cables because I soon as I bought a few nicer, more higher end cables the buzz went away.

I've purchased two cheap Rondo guitars and a Rondo bass that all arrived playable.

I've had two GFS guitars (original, and shipped replacement) that both had damage and/or multiple issues that made them unplayable.

Sometimes people are bitchy because they paid a bunch in shipping and got nothing except a bad taste in their mouth.

"Guitarfetish.com does NOT charge a restocking fee for in-stock items returned in as-new condition. We refund the original purchase price of the item in question less shipping. Return shipping is at the buyer's expense."

So if you receive a piece of crap (or two), you'll pay 2x shipping to make it go away.

• Members

i've ordered a load of stuff from them that i'm STILL getting round to putting in axes...... all i can say is they came surprisingly quickly (i live in England) and Jay was very quick to answer any queries i had

• Members

IVe got the Wilkerson compensated tele bridge and the GFS vintage replacement tele tuners on a tele build and they appear to be holding up great. Seem solid to me.

Liked the tuners well enough I ordered a set for another cheap tele copy I had.

I would like to get some of their guitars, but Im over-run w/cheapos already.

Intreaged with the Jr copies, and the new hollowbodies.

• Members

I think the theme of this thread, as it should be, is tempered expectations. If you go into it with a realistic expectation, you'll most likely be pleased.

In the past, I've purchased a guitar that I wasn't happy with, a body that I wasn't happy with, and several parts which I was very happy with. Lesson learned. Keep it simple.

That said, how can you go wrong with a $124 guitar that looks cool and is playable? I woulda killed for something like that when I was starting out.

• Members

Keep in mind that a Squier bullet or Affinity are $200 guitars and then keep in mind the claims that a company makes about who you should compare their guitars to. I never understand the "what did you expect?" argument...

When a seller makes the following claim: "PLEASE don

Archived