NGD!! Univox Les Paul Jr!

carryonplease

• Members

I can't contain my excitement so I have to make this into its own thread (I'll delete the other post)

picked this up off ebay for $380 shipped. 1970s era Univox LP Jr copy. even came with the original case and key!

20698_571117849581_1531212899_n.jpg

this guitar freakin rips! it blows away my 90's MIK epiphone LP double cut and lots of the newer Gibson models I've played in the store I work at. The pickup has a vintage gibson p-90 vibe - super clear and somehow gritty as hell at the same time. I have a newer gibson p-90 in my epiphone and its quite harsh, not this one though.

the body is a one piece, 3 piece neck - probably a laminate top and back - but solid as hell and definitely all mahogany. the neck is nice and wide but I don't think its as fat as the gibsons.

the neck has two internal bolts under the pickguard but it appears to be glued as well - as you would never know it isn't "set"

looks like the bridge has been replaced but I dont care - intonation is perfect.

If I had known it would be this solid I would have easily paid $500 + for it.

These seem to not be as rare as the other 70s era copies - but definitely worth it for anyone looking for something similar.

• Members

Congrats, I like the whole vintage vibe that kit has going for it.

I've found that pickups really do take on the character of the wood underneath and I've had Gibson p'ups sound a bit harsh when I've slapped them into an Epi as well, but usually "harsh" is not a term I'd use to describe the newer Gibby P-90s.

Good wood just wasn't as much of a rarity in the '70s so I'd bet that's where most of the good tone is coming from, well that and I'd say you're probably correct about the pickup being good too. wink.gif

Only thing bugging me about the whole visual are those gold knobs. If you're sure they're original, I might leave them on, but I'd like to see that guitar with some black knobs on it, either bell or speed. idn_smilie.gif

But congrats, that's a guitar I'd love to have a chance to play myself. A 40 year-old guitar is going to have plenty to say. wink.gif

• Members

yea the knobs definitely aren't original. I kind of like the contrast though TBH. I feel like the pickup was replaced becuase the pole screws are shiny an the rest of the screws on the guitar are rusty and older looking. oh well. I think I'm gonna drop some silly cash on a 50s gibson p-90 soon enough facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by theManfromAlabam View Post
A new take off 50's dog ear p-90 should be an easy cheap find, a lot of folks can't handle the hum, so they immediately replace the Gibson pup with that of an an aftermarket noiseless pup.

Cool guitar and good luck!
He's referring to one actually from a 1950s Gibson. I've been contemplating one for my Junior as well.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by theManfromAlabam View Post
My bad, I will be on the lookout for one/some.
They sell fairly regularly on TGP and ebay. $250 seems to be the average. I'm not ready to invest that yet, but one of these days I may...

OP - I'm sure that 35-40-year-old chunk of wood will sound AMAZING with a 60-year-old pickup!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived