Monoprice making guitar stuff?

honeyiscool

• Members

They're introducing some patch cables and stuff. The 8" patch cords at $3 a pop are especially interesting.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10244

They're making mics, stands, and pocket headphone amps and such as well.

As a big Monoprice fan, I wish I could be excited, but I have mixed feelings. Their home audio stuff is the best bang for the buck on the market, no doubt about it. Their XLR balanced cables are great. I use them every day and have no complaints. Their power cables are all I ever use. They're cheap and reliable and of good construction.

However, their instrument cables have largely sucked so far. The handling noise is terrible! Plus, they've been rather hummy and prone to interference. At the same time, they're too thick, it's the worst combination of qualities for an instrument cable. I've had several of their 1/4" cables and ditched all of them. They are just not pro grade instrument cables. If they're making patches out of that, I'm not particularly thrilled. At the same time, maybe handling noise and stuff like that doesn't matter at 8", but you don't want stiff pedal couplers. I think I'll stick to Pro Co instrument cables and GLS patch cables, thank you.

As for the other stuff, I wonder how they expect to compete with the budget stuff from the MXLs and Audio Technicas of the world.

• Members

This is tongue-in-cheek hilarious. I love Monoprice and I'd almost be tempted to buy a guitar just to have one with Monoprice on the headstock, but I have to admit: I'm frightened by the sloppy detail of the body work and binding depicted here ...

6102002.jpg

Headstock:

6102003.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jim85IROC

View Post

Where is the sloppy binding? All I see is a reflection around the perimeter of the body near the binding. That guitar looks remarkable considering the price. I think the headstock shape is tasteful too.

Maybe you're right about it being a reflection. Bindings at all on a $120 guitar is very remarkable, indeed.

• Members

The strat looks a little funky, too. Check out that burst :p

6101032.jpg
6101033.jpg
The neck doesn't look too bad, though. Tuners seem to be better than what you would find on ultra cheapo guitars (those ones with the removable covers on the back)

Edit: Actually, that fretboard looks pretty sharp on the sides, like it has a hard 90 degree angle along the edge/top.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I recieved one of those honey burst Les Paul-like Vinatge 66 guitars the other day. Very impressed with the quality for only $129. It shipped very quickly. Really does feel like a Les Paul custom guitar.

Like it so much I also ordered one of their honey burst Strats too.

The only downside is the Monoprice label on the head stock. They could have come up with a better looking logo or have an option to change it to something else.

If you switched it with an actual Les Paul logo, most people would be fooled. Thats how good the guitar looks. Plays well too.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Okay, the suspense was killing me, so I ordered a Route 66 (LP-type) last week.  It showed up on Friday, but I haven't really had time to mess around with it.  Monoprice made some changes to the model; they removed the platsic "Rhythm/Treble" switch gasket and the pickguard.  They also added a heavier-gauge string set.  These items were the most-panned features of the original model, and Monoprice takes customer feedback very seriously.

The fret edges are a little sharp; they need to be hit with a little steel wool, or a fine metal file.  The pickup selector switch is a little stiff, but seems pretty solid.  The knobs and caps are pretty smooth.  The chrome of the bridge and tailpiece are just "average" in surface finish, but are otherwise solid.  Likewise, the chrome covers on the pickups are "adequate" in appearance.  The tuners look pretty cheap (as is often the case with low-end guitars) but they turn quite smoothly and seem to stay in tune pretty well.

The neck is straight and has a cofortable, solid feel.  I've mentioned before that I am not a neck zealot; I have guitars with varying neck shapes, scales, and depths and I can move between all of them with relative ease.  There is no neck buzz and fingerings are solid all the way up the neck.  The nut is well-cut and positioned; the (larger-gauge) strings seem to sit well.

Two curious things about this model.  First, it's a bolt-on, which should not be a dealbreaker for most, but it may seem odd for an LP type.  Second, while the body and neck are adorned with a very-attractive cream binding, the headstock is unbound.  It gives a rather odd look to the guitar.  Not bad, just odd.

As I mentioned, the binding is really nice (belying my unfounded assertion from last year), the inlays are neat and the finish is out of this world.  The paint job and finish are flawless!  I don't know what someone woud charge you for just a body that was built and finished to this quality, but I'm sure it would be a good deal more than what this guitar costs.  That being said, the body is really solid and quite heavy.  I think it's close to nine pounds, but I haven't weighed it.

Again: I haven't really played too much so I can't give a critical appraisal of the sound of the pickups or quality and interaction of the controls.  The pickups are not noisy and do have a recognizable humbucker sound.  So far, I am impressed.  Here are some pics ...

Route66\_45.jpgRoute66\_44.jpgRoute66\_56.jpgRoute66\_39.jpg

• Members

Wow that does look like a very sweet guitar. I actually like the revisions they have done. Made it look less like a Les Paul but have added some nice style. Interesting that they listened to complainants and fixed a few things. Still putting your own favorite strings will still be done.

Very nice!

Now I'm tempted again to get another. :)

Archived