My new 3D printed guitar

odiegel

• Members

Greetings All,

Just thought I would post a link to my latest 3D printed guitar: the Steampunk. The body, with all the moving gears and pistons is printed as a single component.

steampunk2small.jpg

If you want to know more, check it out at http://www.odd.org.nz/steampunk.html

I've got a little video there showing it with all the gears moving.

The 3D printed guitars dont sound half bad either... I am having someone who can really play do a video

of them in glorious action in the next week or two and will post that as soon as it's done.

Cheers

Olaf

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the OP may have been chased-off which is a shame, since I had questions for him. Maybe it was a little-bit spamy, but I think the uniqueness of his item kinda offsets the spaminess. I'm not much for "Zero-Tolerance", and I think we might have more to gain from the OP sharing his knowledge--it's not just a one sided situation, where he's trying to sell us his product.

If he does come back, I'd like to know about his claim that the body and all the moving components where printed as a single component. I assume this was printed in an additive process, using some sort of resin/plastic (as opposed to a subtractive process, like a CNC machine).

I guess I'm having trouble understanding how the spaces around the moving sub-components could be created (in 3D, of course),during the build-up without the objects moving during the process, and screwing things-up. I could see if these sub-components were all left attached by a small bit of materiall, which was later removed to free them, but to be created completely free during the build-up process seems very difficult. I don't really know much about this sort of thing, so maybe it's a dumb question.

Also, I'd like to know about any lack of stiffness from this type of body material. Thanks in advance.

• Members

joemonkey wrote:

What a bunch of jackasses.  Let's make it even more of a wasteland by running off newbies who aren't really peddling wares, but rather showing off innovative designs.

This is the Mos Eisley of the internet.

His first post is of a guitar, which is super awesome, but the post itself was vacant. It didn't seem like he wanted to post here; he wanted to show off his guitar. If he decides to post more, we'll all welcome him with open arms outside of this thread. If he's got more cool guitars, or can show off how these things actually sound, I'd love to see them.

Plus, we're jealous. I can't afford a 3D printer, and don't have the ability to draw that.

• Members

Yep. The guitars have nbeen feaured in a few publications.

No probalme to test drive. Easiest is probably to pop in and see me up at Massey University in Albany. I have a few guitars and basses hanging on the wall there.

Cheers

Olaf

• Members

JRicoC wrote:

I don't know or even understand what is meant by the term "3D Printing", but that's has to be the coolest guitar I've ever seen ...

You should look it up, youtube has many examples.  It's "blow your mind" science fiction but really exists.

• Members

This is truly amazing stuff.  It reminds me of tsome of the Switch stuff, or more unconventional hybrid plastic/ wood designs we've seen, but with far more panache.  Beautiful work.

...that said, New York is an intersting city, but if you really want to enjoy a visit to a US city, allow me to recommend Chicago :)

edit: one year old has a caps lock obsession. ;)

Archived