Best battery-powered amp for busking

SrMeowMeow

• Members

The pignose have the best tone out of the portables I've heard for batter operation.

If its just so you can hear youself play, those ciggerette amps have great battery life.

They are lound enough to drive a guitar cab in a pinch too. I had a buddy playing out and he smoked his amp.

I happend to have a ciggerette amp in the car. We plugged it into the cab and miced it up and

they were able to finish the last set. It wasnt stellar tone but for $15 its OK for driven tones.

Theres no volume knob so its dependant on your guitar knobs for clean tone. The built in speaker isnt super

sounding either.

• Members

I play with friend on beach for little charity collections, so must use battery amps. I've gone through quite a few: Vox Da-5, micro cube, cube RX, cube street, crate had one... profiler series they blew out for $50 at GC, Yamha VA-10..

I am lusting after a mini mustang (came out 3 weeks after last trip to USA, haven't got them here yet).

My vote given what I've played with would be the cube street, with separate voice channel and reverb for that. I assume you are going to sing. Does acoustic electrics quite well.

• Members

I have both the Pignose and a Vox DC5. The Pignose has no FX and no gain/master volume. It's a cool little classic amp but really limited on versatility. Plug in, what you hear is what you get. The Vox DC5 has about 11 different effects, amps, gain, master, CD in, etc. Lost of sounds, choices, applications = more bang for the buck. You don't have to use all of it but if you can find you sound in there which is a lot more than you get with the Pignose.

• Members

I have a Vox AC-1, like paperback book sized amp, 9 volts. Hooked up to friends JBL PA speaker and it drove it decently!

I got my pristine cube street at GC used last trip for $180. Over here friend got one for $360!!! (stuff spendy here) You can also get nice carrying case for around $60, protect it from weather and spilled lattes. Way to go if you want to run guitar and mic.

The weakness of Roland's cube series (I have RX, cube street and micro cube, all have same problem) is that the plastic nut holding input jack is the {censored}s, it is so thin. Broke a few of them (good luck on replacements). I suggest if you have one to get some marine epoxy and reinforce those puppies like I did. Nothing like having the jack drop into the guts when the nut breaks while you are trying to gig somewhere....

• Members

I have a Vox AC-1, like paperback book sized amp, 9 volts. Hooked up to friends JBL PA speaker and it drove it decently!

I got my pristine cube street at GC used last trip for $180. Over here friend got one for $360!!! (stuff spendy here) You can also get nice carrying case for around $60, protect it from weather and spilled lattes. Way to go if you want to run guitar and mic.

The weakness of Roland's cube series (I have RX, cube street and micro cube, all have same problem) is that the plastic nut holding input jack is the @#!*% , it is so thin. Broke a few of them (good luck on replacements). I suggest if you have one to get some marine epoxy and reinforce those puppies like I did. Nothing like having the jack drop into the guts when the nut breaks while you are trying to gig somewhere....

Could you just not replace the nut with something more substantial right at the get-go?

• Members

"Could you just not replace the nut with something more substantial right at the get-go?"

I thought you were referring to me at first!

last time I was in the states went round with techno geek friend looking for replacement. Went to Fry's and some huge old school hardware store. It is a between size (figures).

The epoxy seems to be doing the trick just fine. Even used it to repair a busted nut, a very busted nut.

Oh, and another forum about mini mustangs had link to some new Yamaha amps that look quite nice....

Here's a link to a decent video and print review of the buggers:

http://magazine.dv247.com/2011/09/28/yamaha-thr5-and-thr10-video-preview/

the thr 5 goes for $200 and the thr 10 for $300.

Archived