It's not that I hate my AC30, but...

xrleroyx

• Members

Depends on the band setting, and how much clean headrom you need compared to how loud your drummer is. :idk: When I was playing out with my Hayseed 30, I would often use it in 15 watt mode, but I was always mic'ed through the PA, and didn't particularly need sparkly cleans for what I was doing.

I think you'd end up missing your AC30. The AC15 is kind of a different animal.

• Members

That's really what I was trying to figure out. I know the two are different, but what I didn't know was how much.

I'm running the "normal" channel at half volume and the top boost at full and using the master volume to control overall volume, with my a/b splitter.

The normal channel still gives me more grit than I'd like, any tips? I really love the amp, but I need to spend some time with it.

• Members

If you need to run it super clean, then maybe not. An AC15 is a little rougher sounding, but sure, it can crank enough for a band.

I think I remember reading that you use a Big Muff - the AC15 pairs especially well with those, IMO.

• Members

Frankly, the reason I go through amps so much is that I can't afford to buy the ones I want, so I just jump on deals and flip gear to make money. I'm graduating from undergrad in about a month, so I'm really just waiting until I get a permanent job with a salary to make any kind of real purchase.

Thing is, my music is gaining traction around the area and I need a good amp. I have a cool board, and I'm in love with my two guitars. Gasp. I know, I only own two guitars.

• Members

I'm not sure why you would use a Vox if grit isn't something you want. The iconic status of the AC30 shouldn't matter to you. Whether it works for you should. And if an AC30 has too much grit, the AC15 definitely does at the same volumes. Just because it sounds good doesn't mean it's destined to be your amp. But also you should take a step back and be very honest with yourself and gauge how the music all sounds all put together. I mean, if I remember correctly, you're used to very high wattage amps that can be crystal clear. I've heard bands like that, and no offense, really, but those bands can be very painful to be in the same room with, although the guitarist might not even hear himself all that well since the drums are at ear level and the amp isn't. A little dirt on the amp actually tends to smooth out the peaks so that it's not painful while giving you a good increase in overall volume, and at that, I think the AC15/30 amps excel.

Anyway, AC15 works in a band. One of my favorite bands (whose live video I just posted) uses one. Perfectly loud. Crazy good tone.

• Members

Great reply Paul.

I love the way the AC30 sounds with my setup, and with the full band. It really has it's own voice and can keep it smooth within a mix, while still cutting through.

The only amps I've gigged with are old 100 watt Marshalls, Oranges and if I remember correctly, a Peavey. None of those are particularly clean, but I'm starting to be able to manipulate the amp to get me the tones in "Late Spring" and "Summer Pt. 2" in my EP (link in my sig).

I'm also talking with warriorpoet about getting a pedal made for me, which will be nice to drive the already gritty sound of the top boost channel to use with some of my new, unrecorded tracks. I guess having a crystal clear clean tone live isn't something I really need to worry about.

Frankly, the last AC30 I had, I removed all the logos and tore out the grill cloth (previous owner burned a huge hole in it) so the "status" of my gear really isn't something I'm worried about. The only pedal on my board that has a discernable name is my Vox wah. Both of my fenders have logos that are either blocked by tuners or worn off.

Archived