Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

J.Backlund design announces new Korean made models!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bennett
    View Post

KIT_strong: Yes. Dealers are looking over the project. Don't worry, they will come on board soon enough. its only been 2 business days after NAMM some of them are not even home yet.

ROG951: Don't get discouraged, I can tell you that the TGPers are a little shrewder than most, but I get to see who has bought and what link they came through to get to Kickstarter and I can tell you that several TGPers have bought in, so while they may not say anything about it in your thread... they ARE buying.

First off,

I'm very sorry that I haven't posted new hardware specs yet. but after all the meetings and asking questions that raised MORE questions.

It became very obvious that there were some hard decisions to make here.

SO....I have some questions for the forum.

I would like your opinions on this tremolo..I thought the design was cool and yet functional.. and that it might be a decent fit for Johns designs.

I'm sorry but I have precious little details on it. other than the string spacing is 10.8mm, I'm working on getting one here for testing.

just let me know a general opinion you don't need to blast it to heck and back. just a simple yes or no will do.

also, We have discovered something rather hard to believe, many of the overseas hardware makers ( Gotoh and others) have discontinued many of their wraparound styled bridges due to the fact that so many custom guitar builders have gone to having custom made wraparounds built.

who would've thought that could happen?.. SO, in that event, a custom designed bridge may be our best and only option. I'm working on this as we speak. and any CAD guys that wish to help on this project, Please PM me, we can work out fees on the back end. I have ideas and some hand done mechanical drawings already, I just need them translated to CAD drawings asap.

next is tuning keys, What the general consensus of Gotoh H.A.P.-M locking key?

such as the 510 or even the 301 series?

Please bear in mind that at this point, these are suggestions only, nothing is final yet.

I have LOTS more pieces I'm culling through. these are just the ones that I want opinons on before I send them to the next stage.

I like the look of both of those parts. Though I would even look at the steinberger locking tuners as they may work well in this instance.

Question to Bruce: Any chance of seeing some Carbon Fiber or alternate construction models come out of the shop?

Seems like there designs would be perfect for new materials.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Pariah
      View Post

I like the look of both of those parts. Though I would even look at the steinberger locking tuners as they may work well in this instance.

Question to Bruce: Any chance of seeing some Carbon Fiber or alternate construction models come out of the shop?

Seems like there designs would be perfect for new materials.

Not very likely on the carbon fiber, I worked with that some at Steinberger, IMHO, its cool and all, but too expensive and difficult to work with in a production enviroment,

which is why Steinbergers were 4K+ guitars, even Peavey is haveing a hard time with its new aquisition, Composite Acoustics.

I do have some plans for the Marz 6 though. I'd like to talk with Dave Kelly over at guitarkitsUSA.com about it
      the Coolest Guitars Designs since...ever
      www.jbacklund.com

Comment

View Post

Not very likely on the carbon fiber, I worked with that some at Steinberger, IMHO, its cool and all, but too expensive and difficult to work with in a production enviroment,

which is why Steinbergers were 4K+ guitars, even Peavey is haveing a hard time with its new aquisition, Composite Acoustics.

Well, one of the reasons that Peavy is having a hard time with it's CA acquisition is that the new guitars pail in comparison to the pre-peavey models.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong
          View Post

Well, one of the reasons that Peavy is having a hard time with it's CA acquisition is that the new guitars pail in comparison to the pre-peavey models.

Is it possible that the reason they "pale in comparision", is because the Carbon Fiber is just not very production friendly?

Don't forget that the Pre-Peavey company had problems making them too. thats why they sold out to peavey, but they did apparently have better QC than they do currently.

I don't know why Rainsong Guitars when out of biz. they had a great product with solid production and a fair price.

based on what I've seen, using Carbon Fiber for Guitars isn't a safe business model.
          the Coolest Guitars Designs since...ever
          www.jbacklund.com

Comment

• Carbon fiber is a bitch.
            We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

• I'm so glad I visited the forum today. Bruce, you and I have had a couple back and forths way back about import guitars and I believe I said if a J Backlund design ever hit an "affordable" price I'd buy one. As such I'm now a backer (at the $500 hard-tail level) and very much hope the project comes to fruition and additionally hope this new venture is a huge success for you and your crew. I'm going to promote the project over at the FG facebook page right now.
              Will Chen Trio | FrugalGuitarist.com | FG on Facebook | Forum

Comment

• I like the trem but would like it more if it had an arm attachment like a Wilkinson VS or a Gotoh Floyd. Push in arm with a nylon bushing and a set screw for tension adjustment.

The rest looks great and I like the tuners too since locking Planet Waves tuners may be cost prohibitive.
                My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
                PRS CE24 w/ piezo
                Floyd LP
                Fender Stratocaster
                Lucero classical
                Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

View Post

I do have some plans for the Marz 6 though. I'd like to talk with Dave Kelly over at guitarkitsUSA.com about it

The Marz 6 is likely to end up a very neck-heavy guitar if the body is constructed of some sort of composite material without a built-in lead counterweight. I had originaly addressed this potential issue at the concept stage by drawing them with hand-layered fiberglass over concrete bodies.

Comment

• I really like the look of both the tuner and the tremolo.
                    Hear our stuff at: theprettyvoices.bandcamp.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by _pete_
                      View Post

I like the trem but would like it more if it had an arm attachment like a Wilkinson VS or a Gotoh Floyd. Push in arm with a nylon bushing and a set screw for tension adjustment.

The rest looks great and I like the tuners too since locking Planet Waves tuners may be cost prohibitive.

I have to agree with this. I didn't even look close enough to notice that it uses a screw in arm. I too much prefer a push in with set screw as it allows you to actually put the arm where you want it without it flopping down every time you let go.

Comment

• Oh and if my opinion matters, this design looks incredible with the 3 singles in a sunburst like in the below pic.

Will Chen Trio | FrugalGuitarist.com | FG on Facebook | Forum

Comment

• I like the looks of the hardware pictured. Hopefully the base plate is of quality material.

I don't mind a screw in arm if it swings freely but doesn't wobble when you use it. The Wilkenson unit (VS100** or whatever) is a prime example in that the arm is bored out and threads ONTO a screw at the base of the socket. The result is a very solid feel. The 10.8 mm spacing is nice too.

I have always loved the look of the Gotoh 510's and always figured I would choose them on a guitar that demanded a certain aesthetic... The 510's are a fine compliment to John's retro modern designs imho.

Finally Bruce & Co.- Thanks for seeking feedback before making the choices.
                          Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

• That trem looks good, although I agree with the comments about a push in arm with separate tensioning screw. Likewise the tuners smooth and slightly unconventional shape should complement the headstock and guitar overall well.
                            http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

http://photoxon.blogspot.co.uk/ My photography blog

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen
                              View Post

Oh and if my opinion matters, this design looks incredible with the 3 singles in a sunburst like in the below pic.

It does, but for me, that design begs for a metallic finish, preferably something loud (like lime green or orange).
                              Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen
                                View Post

Oh and if my opinion matters, this design looks incredible with the 3 singles in a sunburst like in the below pic.

nice, nice...do we get to pick from these? ...like the hardware earlier too...

Comment

Working...
                                X