Double hum when out of phase

pluginbabies

• Members

I've been doing some wiring mods to my 2-humbucker home-made guitar. I have switching for Series/Split/Parallel for each pickup, and a switch to put the bridge pickup out of phase with the neck.

It seems to work okay, when i split both humbuckers and put them out of phase - i get that nice strat-esque quack. However, when in-phase, the single coils are hum cancelling, when out of phase the hum doubles!!

Any idea how i can fix this - can i have it hum cancelling when split pickups are both in and out of phase? If not, i prefer the out of phase sound, so having it hum cancelling for that would be better.

What do i have to do - spin a pickup round? Turn around a magnet? Or change the way one or both pickups are wired? I'm pretty competent with wiring but this has got me stumped!

• Members

Doubling hum when out of phase makes sense. When two coils hum cancel you are combining -1 and +1 to get 0. When you put one of those out of phase you get +2.

Have you tried doing the out of phase sound with the other coil of the bridge pickup?

• Members

honeyiscool - would that make much of a difference? If i swap just one pickup to the other coil, won't it not be hum-cancelling any more as they'll be the same polarity - if i swap both pickups to the other coil, won't that just give the same issue as i have now - either the inphase or outofphase setting will have double-hum?

Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong - just trying to understand this a bit better!

Archived