Fender Jazzmaster?

blue-eye boy

• Members

I am wondering about getting a Jazzmaster, and wanted to see people's opinion of them on here. I know about probs with bridge, etc, but wondered about getting the classic player one with a different bridge and harder string angle. I currently play a tele, a Sheraton, and a LP with P90s... but am attracted by the possibility of something that bridges the sharpness of tele and rounded P90 sound. Do they get there? difficult to do these kinds of comparisons in a shop

(PS. I was a user of the old site, so just re-registered with a different name, hence low post count)

• Members

The CP Jazzmaster, IMO, definitely bridges a Tele and P90. I have one, and it's one of my favorites. Many have said that a Mastery bridge cures a regular Jazzmaster bridge, as does a Mustang bridge. Anyway, I heartily recommend the CP Jazzmaster.

Tele, Sheraton, and P90 LP... Your collection sounds vaguely familiar.

• Members

Yes - you probably know who I am! Thanks for the response. I liked it when I tried it recently and in fact I am embarrassed to admit that the theme tune of a certain children's film (well, the guitar sound on it), got me curious in the first instance - a kind of clanging, chimey, stringey sound - like you could really hear the whole guitar... (guitar sound in Sheryl Crow, Real Gone for the film Cars) and noticed that her lead guitarist played a JM

• Members

I liked my 62 reissue Jazzmaster. Had no tuning issues but I never used the tremelo. But after owning it for awhile along with my CP Jag I've decided these guitars aren't for me.

I sold the Jag and traded my Jazz for a Wildwood 62 Tele.

I still think the guitar is great for the people who like it but it wasn't for me. But for awhile it was an interesting detour.

Besides strats and teles I'm really into hollow/semi-hollow bodies right now.

My advice is to try it out for awhile, many times you can't get the real feel of a guitar until you've had it and played it for a while. You either stay in love or fall out of love.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I want a CP Jazzmaster too. It's either that or a MIK Guild Starfire III.

kayd_mon wrote:

The CP Jazzmaster, IMO, definitely bridges a Tele and P90. I have one, and it's one of my favorites. Many have said that a Mastery bridge cures a regular Jazzmaster bridge, as does a Mustang bridge. Anyway, I heartily recommend the CP Jazzmaster.

Tele, Sheraton, and P90 LP... Your collection sounds vaguely familiar.

I want the Classic Player Jazzmaster because I don't want to spend a lot of money on a US-made model and then have to twiddle with the bridge. I want a guitar that is ready-to-play 'as is'. From what I understand, the Classic Player Jazzmasters don't have the bridge hassles that MIJ or MIUS Jazzmasters have. 

• Members

Part of the joy of the Jazzmaster is getting all of the harmonics from the sympathetic vibes from the 'extra' string length past the saddles; getting the CP means you won't have that. 

I would also humbly suggest that while AVRI's are terrific if you can afford them, so far my 2nd-favorite currently-commercially-available JM are the new Squier CV's ... they're not consistent in terms of QC, but hell, order one from a reputable website and you can always ship it back.  Some like the Squier Mascis JM, but I actually thought the CVs were a little more in the spirit of the original instrument.

Then you deal with the bridge - you just do.  You can try upping your string gauge, or whatever, but ultimately you would be happier with a Mastery.  The less expensive work around is to use a Mustang bridge.

As for 'will you be happy with it,' .... who can answer this question?  Here's what I can share w/you about Jazzy's, that may help you decide to pull the trigger:

* You can get some really gorgeous, piano-like sounds from them (I think this may be what you were referring to in your OP)

* They're LARGE.  Full scale, large body, they are a whole lotta woman. 

* Their configuration lends itself well to lots of pickup-swap-out navel-gazing - you can really get some very different sounds depending on the pickups you use, moreso perhaps than some other guitars

* If you like to play up above the 12th fret a lot, you may find it to be the wrong guitar

* Looks great

Good luck!

Archived