Hate the medium jumbos on my Fender A.S. Strat

wankdeplank

• Members

Dang, I don't know why but I'm so used to sliding around on my MIMs with vintage frets, these things seem to slow me down.  What's weird is that I don't even notice the frets on my Gibson and they're supposed to be medium jumbos as well.  I'm really hopeful that a fret dress might bring em down just enough to slink around like I can on my MIMs.

• Members

It's been my experience that Gibson's medium jumbo's are in fact smaller than Fenders.  I'm a bit of a vintage fret size man myself so I know what you mean.  The great thing is, you can take them down, specify with your luthier how you would like them or if you can do it yourself, just do it.

From warmoth...

6230   .080" X .037" This is the smallest fret wire Vintage Fender necks

6130   .106" X .036" Often referred to as "Medium Jumbo" Many Gibson necks

6105   .095" X .045" Narrow and tall Most popular choice

6150   .103" X .046" The standard "Jumbo," it is about the same width as the 6130 but a bit taller Modern Fender American necks

6100   .118" X .058" Huge! This is big stuff for an almost scalloped feel Common on Ibanez necks

• Members

If you're going to get them dressed, tell the guy to level them down a bit, too. The width may not be the same as vintage frets, but you can get the height lowered to whatever you'd like, even nearly flat a la some Norlin-era Gibsons and their 70's Japanese clones. Hell, you could even do the levelling yourself, get that just a touch higher than what you want, and then bring it in just to be crowned (or even do that yourself, too, if you're skilled enough... it's not that hard, really.) I see no reason for a refret or a new neck if you like the shape of it.

• Members

billybilly wrote:

It's been my experience that Gibson's medium jumbo's are in fact smaller than Fenders.  I'm a bit of a vintage fret size man myself so I know what you mean.  The great thing is, you can take them down, specify with your luthier how you would like them or if you can do it yourself, just do it.

From warmoth...

6230   .080" X .037" This is the smallest fret wire Vintage Fender necks

6130   .106" X .036" Often referred to as "Medium Jumbo" Many Gibson necks

6105   .095" X .045" Narrow and tall Most popular choice

6150   .103" X .046" The standard "Jumbo," it is about the same width as the 6130 but a bit taller Modern Fender American necks

6100   .118" X .058" Huge! This is big stuff for an almost scalloped feel Common on Ibanez necks

I wonder if they're 6150s then, I mean it is an 89. 

If you're going to get them dressed, tell the guy to level them down a bit, too. The width may not be the same as vintage frets, but you can get the height lowered to whatever you'd like, even nearly flat a la some Norlin-era Gibsons and their 70's Japanese clones. Hell, you could even do the levelling yourself, get that just a touch higher than what you want, and then bring it in just to be crowned (or even do that yourself, too, if you're skilled enough... it's not that hard, really.) I see no reason for a refret or a new neck if you like the shape of it.

Think I'll just cough up the $100 to have them dressed professionally.  This guitar is just too nice to risk doing my first fret dress on.   It used to belong to one of the best pro players in town and has a little wear in early position so I can rationalize getting it done.

Or trade for an MIM neck with someone (like me) who wants bigger frets...

Actually love the shape (chunky) and 12" radius of the neck.  Think I'll dig it a lot once the frets come down a hair

I believe that different companies define their frets in their frets in their own ways. For. One thing, Gibson frets tend to be shorter and flatter, which I like.

Thx Kayd.  I thought I was going crazy there for a minute.  My US Hamers use a little smaller guage I think, but really great to play as well.

Archived