Top 5 Guitar Influences

Special J

• Members

Ty Tabor

Pete Townshend

Mike McCready

Stone Gossard

Billie Joe Armstrong

I first picked up guitar because of Green Day. It was the mid 90s, I listened to Dookie a lot, and I still love that guitar tone. Their songs were super easy, so it kept playing fun. I also learned Nirvana songs, but liked Billie Joe's tone and playing better. I then moved on/up to Pearl Jam, where I learned some soloing and more advanced rhythm stuff. After that, I started learning lots of Townshend. Ty Tabor rounded out my early influences, and I can still hear all those influences in how I play today. I still listen to The Who, Pearl Jam, and King's X a whole lot, and Green Day occasionally. Dookie is good exercise music.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Ty Tabor

Pete Townshend

Mike McCready

Stone Gossard

Billie Joe Armstrong

I first picked up guitar because of Green Day. It was the mid 90s, I listened to Dookie a lot, and I still love that guitar tone. Their songs were super easy, so it kept playing fun. I also learned Nirvana songs, but liked Billie Joe's tone and playing better. I then moved on/up to Pearl Jam, where I learned some soloing and more advanced rhythm stuff. After that, I started learning lots of Townshend. Ty Tabor rounded out my early influences, and I can still hear all those influences in how I play today. I still listen to The Who, Pearl Jam, and King's X a whole lot, and Green Day occasionally. Dookie is good exercise music.

Cool man. I dig all those guys. Dookie, Dogman, Ten, and Mad Season were all on heavy rotation for me as a teenager. And most Who albums have been in heavy rotation since I was born (thanks Dad!). McCready would definitely make it in to my top 10. Check out the reissue of Mad Season if you haven't yet. Some great bonus unreleased and live material in there.

• Members

There are tons of guitarists I enjoy, admire, and respect but none of them are really the reason I picked up guitar.

I have always loved music and always enjoyed singing.  My initial reason for picking up guitar was just to be able to strum some cowboy chords while singing.

So with that in mind I guess some of my top influences would be  

Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, John Fogerty, Jeff Tweedy, Jack White.. the list could go on and on.

• Members

this is actually tough... because at certain times it's been different... i would have had to include page... gilmour... and a heap of blues guys... but i'm gonna go with

jimi hendrix

peter green

prince

chris whitley

john squire (who recently toured australia with the stone roses reunion... and i had no idea he was here at the time... i was gutted when i found out)

• Members

The Beatles and The Stones were my first serious influences. Singling out just Guitarists:

Early Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Early Jeff Beck

Mick Taylor

Jimmy Page

One of my all time heroes is Peter Green but for some reason I didn't really get into him until much later. BB and Albert are big, as well as Duane and Dicky from the original Allman Brothers. As others have said, the list is endless.

• Members

David Gilmour

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Paco de Lucia

Victor Wooten

John Coltrane

Victor Wooten and John Coltrane aren't inspirations for my guitar playing so much as they are inspirations on how to approach music, which ultimately helps with my guitar playing.

• Members

changes a bit but the all timers are

Joe Satriani

Jimmy Page - I also think is the 'greatest' living guit player from that thread a whiles back

Jeff Beck

Pat Metheny -  staggering compositional skills not to mention technically great

5th one would probly be a tie between Eric Johnson , Andy Summers and maybe Steve Morse

• Members

Here's 8 of my favourites because I can't think of just 5 and there's undoubtedly loads more that I can't remember right now:

Rick Nielsen (underrated solid rock n' roll guitarist who wrote all the CT songs)

Warren DeMartini (brilliant solos, great riffs)

Captain Sensible (Machine Gun Etiquette is prob my favourite album)

Dave Navarro (just the original Jane's stuff)

Jimi Hendrix (wore out my VHS of Woodstock as a guitar-mad teenager)

Jerry Cantrell (pretty much learnt to play all the basic stuff with AiC Unplugged)

Tony Iommi (just for the awesome riffs, mostly found his solos mediocre)

Jimmy Page (my no.1 favourite guitarist, despite, and possibly in a small part because of, the sloppiness)

• Members

LuckisforLosers wrote:

In no particular order...

Josh Homme

J Mascis

Kevin Shields

David Gilmour

Tony Iommi

Mostyl because of the tones.  I suck at playing guitar, but I still can make it sound cool.

Great list. Nice avatar.

Archived