X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Guitar Influences

I like lists. Who are your top 5 guitarist who have influenced you the most in playing and/or tone?

Mine are, in no particular order:
    Jonny Greenwood
    Pete Townsend
    David Gilmour
    Jimi Hendrix
    J. Mascis

Ty Tabor
    Pete Townshend
    Mike McCready
    Stone Gossard
    Billie Joe Armstrong

I first picked up guitar because of Green Day. It was the mid 90s, I listened to Dookie a lot, and I still love that guitar tone. Their songs were super easy, so it kept playing fun. I also learned Nirvana songs, but liked Billie Joe's tone and playing better. I then moved on/up to Pearl Jam, where I learned some soloing and more advanced rhythm stuff. After that, I started learning lots of Townshend. Ty Tabor rounded out my early influences, and I can still hear all those influences in how I play today. I still listen to The Who, Pearl Jam, and King's X a whole lot, and Green Day occasionally. Dookie is good exercise music.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• Special J
      Special J commented
      Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:
      Ty Tabor
      Pete Townshend
      Mike McCready
      Stone Gossard
      Billie Joe Armstrong

I first picked up guitar because of Green Day. It was the mid 90s, I listened to Dookie a lot, and I still love that guitar tone. Their songs were super easy, so it kept playing fun. I also learned Nirvana songs, but liked Billie Joe's tone and playing better. I then moved on/up to Pearl Jam, where I learned some soloing and more advanced rhythm stuff. After that, I started learning lots of Townshend. Ty Tabor rounded out my early influences, and I can still hear all those influences in how I play today. I still listen to The Who, Pearl Jam, and King's X a whole lot, and Green Day occasionally. Dookie is good exercise music.

Cool man. I dig all those guys. Dookie, Dogman, Ten, and Mad Season were all on heavy rotation for me as a teenager. And most Who albums have been in heavy rotation since I was born (thanks Dad!). McCready would definitely make it in to my top 10. Check out the reissue of Mad Season if you haven't yet. Some great bonus unreleased and live material in there.

There are tons of guitarists I enjoy, admire, and respect but none of them are really the reason I picked up guitar.

I have always loved music and always enjoyed singing.  My initial reason for picking up guitar was just to be able to strum some cowboy chords while singing.

So with that in mind I guess some of my top influences would be  

Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, John Fogerty, Jeff Tweedy, Jack White.. the list could go on and on.

Comment

• Special J
      Special J commented
      Editing a comment

kit_strong wrote:

There are tons of guitarists I enjoy, admire, and respect but none of them are really the reason I picked up guitar.

I have always loved music and always enjoyed singing.  My initial reason for picking up guitar was just to be able to strum some cowboy chords while singing.

So with that in mind I guess some of my top influences would be  

Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, John Fogerty, Jeff Tweedy, Jack White.. the list could go on and on.

See, your list looks close to what my favorite singer/songwriter list would look like. Nice.

@special j

I used to play Mad Season all the time! I'll definitely check out that reissue.

<div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

this is actually tough... because at certain times it's been different... i would have had to include page... gilmour... and a heap of blues guys... but i'm gonna go with

jimi hendrix

peter green

prince

chris whitley

john squire (who recently toured australia with the stone roses reunion... and i had no idea he was here at the time... i was gutted when i found out)

Comment

• Alexilaiho
        Alexilaiho commented
        Editing a comment
        My influences are mainly based around the stoner/doom genre, and now in no particular order:
        Matt pike
        Jus oborn and Liz buckingham/oborn
        Lori s.
        Tony iommi

SRV
      Wes Montgomery
      Eric Johnson
      David Gilmour
      Tommy Emmanuel

...tough to narrow it to 5 with so many greats

Comment

The Beatles and The Stones were my first serious influences. Singling out just Guitarists:

Early Eric Clapton

Jimi Hendrix

Early Jeff Beck

Mick Taylor

Jimmy Page

One of my all time heroes is Peter Green but for some reason I didn't really get into him until much later. BB and Albert are big, as well as Duane and Dicky from the original Allman Brothers. As others have said, the list is endless.

Comment

Greg Brady

Charles Manson

Ralph Malph

Davd Koresh

Reverend Jim Jones

"You´╗┐ people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

• joy-z
            joy-z commented
            Editing a comment

George Harrison

Dave Davies

Nokie Edwards

Elliot Easton

Jack White

• humbuckerstrat
            humbuckerstrat commented
            Editing a comment

DaveAronow wrote:

Greg Brady

Charles Manson

Ralph Malph

Davd Koresh

Reverend Jim Jones

:smiley-rotfl:

Jimmy Page

Ritchie Blackmore

Martin Barre

SRV

David Gilmour

Comment

• Old Fart Rocker
            Old Fart Rocker commented
            Editing a comment
            In no particular order:

Jimmy Page
            Alex Lifeson
            Peter Frampton
            EVH
            Michael Schenker

• Special J
            Special J commented
            Editing a comment

bazinga wrote:

Jimmy Page

Ritchie Blackmore

Martin Barre

SRV

David Gilmour

Hell yeah, Martin Barre. He would make it into my top 10 as well. Tull spun in our house even more than Hendrix when I was growing up. Everyone always says this, but he's a very underrated guitarist.

David Gilmour
          Stevie Ray Vaughan
          Paco de Lucia
          Victor Wooten
          John Coltrane

Victor Wooten and John Coltrane aren't inspirations for my guitar playing so much as they are inspirations on how to approach music, which ultimately helps with my guitar playing.

Comment

@Mav64
            Last names?

Comment

Vai, Lifeson, Belew, Gorham/Robertson (they are inseparable to me), Macalpine

Comment

• koiwoi
                koiwoi commented
                Editing a comment
                I forgot Guthrie Govan. He's got to be in there...

changes a bit but the all timers are

Joe Satriani

Jimmy Page - I also think is the 'greatest' living guit player from that thread a whiles back

Jeff Beck

Pat Metheny -  staggering compositional skills not to mention technically great

5th one would probly be a tie between Eric Johnson , Andy Summers and maybe Steve Morse

Comment

Jerry Garcia

Pete Townsend

Django Reinhardt

Chet Atkins

Trey Anastacio

That bottom slot could be filled by 4-5 other guys, or no one at all

Comment

• wankdeplank
                  wankdeplank commented
                  Editing a comment

For electric guitar, I'd have to say Gary Moore, God rest his soul, Barry Melton, Carlos Santana, Rick Miller, and Keith Streng.

Here's 8 of my favourites because I can't think of just 5 and there's undoubtedly loads more that I can't remember right now:

Rick Nielsen (underrated solid rock n' roll guitarist who wrote all the CT songs)

Warren DeMartini (brilliant solos, great riffs)

Captain Sensible (Machine Gun Etiquette is prob my favourite album)

Dave Navarro (just the original Jane's stuff)

Jimi Hendrix (wore out my VHS of Woodstock as a guitar-mad teenager)

Jerry Cantrell (pretty much learnt to play all the basic stuff with AiC Unplugged)

Tony Iommi (just for the awesome riffs, mostly found his solos mediocre)

Jimmy Page (my no.1 favourite guitarist, despite, and possibly in a small part because of, the sloppiness)

Comment

Working...
                X