Fleetwood Mac The Early Years

gardo

• Members

I like most of the incarnations of Fleetwood Mac, bar anything after Lindsay Buckingham originally left. How many bands have been able to reinvent themselves, their style, and their name like that? Certainly not the big names like the Beatles and Zeppelin.

Despite some bad music here and there after Peter Green left, most music fans tend to ignore the brilliance of Danny Kirwan, Bob Welch, Bob Weston, and even McVie's early contributions. Bare Trees, Future Games, Mystery to Me, and Penguin are great albums.

However, since this thread is about Green more-so than the band itself through time, I have to say that Green is usually what divides a lot of fans. Many lost interest after he left, because the band totally changed. He was a tasteful guitarist, with good singing and songwriting to match. His solo material is definitely worth checking out.

• Members

@DaleH ,thanks for posting these videos. I'm having my morning coffee and checking in only to find these videos that are so good I can't stop watching. The morning is half gone And here I sit.

• Members

Can you believe that the only Fleetwood Mac album I've actually listened to is The Dance? Shameful, I know. I believe there's a copy of Tusk and maybe Rumors in a box of vinyl I acquired just before moving. I must open those boxes and see what the fuss is about.

• Members

While I can't say I like everything they ever put out, I do appreciate all the various era's of the band and the different musical focus they brought. I got to see them in concert in 1975 in a small theatre. It was after Peter Green and before Buckingham and Nicks. Definitely more blues oriented than their later stuff. Great show! I think the opening act was The Climax Blues Band, but not sure - it was a long time ago. I would have loved to see Peter Green though. I know he was a big influence on Carlos Santana as well and he wrote one of Santana's biggest hits - Black Magic Woman.

• Members

For those of you who either weren't around yet or even aware of, Peter Green filled Eric Clapton's rather large shoes in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers back in the mid 60s. He went on to form Fleetwood Mac who enjoyed great success as a Brit/Blues outfit. Peter had a gift that only a handful of guys have/had. He could play the most cliched Blues lines with  conviction and finesse, all while bringing his

gardo wrote:

I rediscovered some good music . Fleetwood Mac, the Peter Green years.

Here it is if any one is interested.

own voice to the genre. Maybe the best/purest Brit Bluesman ever.

• Members

BeanoBoy wrote:

For those of you who either weren't around yet or even aware of, Peter Green filled Eric Clapton's rather large shoes in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers back in the mid 60s. He went on to form Fleetwood Mac who enjoyed great success as a Brit/Blues outfit. Peter had a gift that only a handful of guys have/had. He could play the most cliched Blues lines with  conviction and finesse, all while bringing his

gardo wrote:

I rediscovered some good music . Fleetwood Mac, the Peter Green years.

Here it is if any one is interested.

own voice to the genre. Maybe the best/purest Brit Bluesman ever.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers have had more than their share of great guitarists in the lineup over the years:

Those are from a wiki page.  Quite a who's who of great blues guitarists. 

A friend of mine opened for the Peter Green version of the Mac back in the day on one tour.  He said Green was an eccentric genius IRL, and has an interesting story about him creating guitars out of some fairly unexpected objects.

Archived