What's the deal with TradeTang.com?

BoneNut

• Members

While browsing through the website posted on ... "OT: Vintage Music Ads" thread, I saw a link to a guitar related site at the bottom of the page and clicked to see.

Turns out it's these Trade Tang guys. I'm seeing more and more links to them everyday. You would think they'd be worried about lawsuits or whatever but instead, they seem to be getting bolder and business seems to be booming.

WTF is going on?!? There are cheap copies of any guitar you can think of there.

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/-Custom-Shop-Johnny-Signature-Guitar-Mint-/116679-1543757.html

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are counterfeits, being that it is illegal to purchase and own counterfeit goods here as well buyers can go to jail for importing them.

Gibson and Fender are going after the makers in China and have had several successful prosecutions here in the US as well.

Could you point me to a statute that states it is illegal to own counterfeit goods? I've wondered about this before . . .

• Members

Could you point me to a statute that states it is illegal to own counterfeit goods? I've wondered about this before . . .

I've also wondered about that. I don't know if there's a law about owning one but it would seem logical for there to be one against bringing them into the country.

I'm just surprised to see how these guys seem to be growing and although everyone claims they would never buy a counterfeit, somebody sure as hell is giving them business.

• Members

I've also wondered about that. I don't know if there's a law about owning one but it would seem logical for there to be one against bringing them into the country.

I'm just surprised to see how these guys seem to be growing and although everyone claims they would
never
buy a counterfeit, somebody sure as hell is giving them business.

I think it

• Members

Is it bad that I'm drooling over what an amazing copy that is? I'd KILL for a Johnny A.

Yeah, me too.

Think about it though, if they would just eliminate the "Gibsun" name from the headstock, it really wouldn't be any different than any other of the millions of Gibson and Fender clones in the world.

Would it?

• Members

I gotta admit I've been curious about these too... Chances are, some are made in the same factory as other " name brand" Chinese made guitars.

But ultimately, it's flooding the market with fakes. How many are re-sold to some poor sucker on Craigslist?

I thought I read somewhere that the shipping charges are colossal also.

• Members

I gotta admit I've been curious about these too... Chances are, some are made in the same factory as other " name brand" Chinese made guitars.

But ultimately, it's flooding the market with fakes. How many are re-sold to some poor sucker on Craigslist?

I thought I read somewhere that the shipping charges are colossal also.

Yeah, considering how good some of these copies look now and not as easy to distinguish as they once were... I can definitely imagine some people being fooled.

What I'm curious about is the name on the headstock. If they were a halfway decent clone, something that could be modded and upgraded, I'd seriously consider one of those Johnny A copies. I won't be buying any of the $4000-$6000 originals anytime soon.

If I could get one without the "Gibsun" name on the headstock, I'd jump on one. I guess I could always order one and cover up the name but wouldn't like to send money to a company making conterfiets... although I've done it dozens of times by buying clones.

• Members

I actually got one of these counterfeit strats in a trade last week. At first glance they are convincing, but something just looks off. Once I ran the serial # online it all unraveld. Long story short I contacted him and we traded back. After spending a few hours with it easy to realize how shoddy it was.

• Members

I saw a "Gibsun" copy in a local pawn shop listed for $2,500. It was not built badly built, although the binding and finish were sloppy at the neck joint. It did have a two screw truss rod cover, but no fret nubs. At first I thought it might have been a refret.

• Members

Just remember, you have to hold off on any real evaluation of the product when it's in your hands. You aren't buying the one in the pic. Many of these sites use pictures of the real deal, and their counterfeits don't make the grade. And with the rest, the pic is of probably the best one you could find. And what are you going to argue? That it is dishonest?

As for legal stuff. Customs may confiscate anything counterfeit that comes through and you'll be out the purchase price. Otherwise, the real legal danger is if you go to sell, no matter how strongly you may state is is not a Gibson in your ad, the police or buyer and can always argue otherwise in court.

• Members

I saw a "Gibsun" copy in a local pawn shop listed for $2,500. It was not built badly built, although the binding and finish were sloppy at the neck joint. It did have a two screw truss rod cover, but no fret nubs. At first I thought it might have been a refret.

Looks like the pawn shop owner got hosed or is looking for someone to hose. Do you think it would be possible to mod and upgrade or would it be a complete waste of time?

• Members

Just remember, you have to hold off on any real evaluation of the product when it's in your hands. You aren't buying the one in the pic. Many of these sites use pictures of the real deal, and their counterfeits don't make the grade. And with the rest, the pic is of probably the best one you could find. And what are you going to argue? That it is dishonest?

As for legal stuff. Customs may confiscate anything counterfeit that comes through and you'll be out the purchase price. Otherwise, the real legal danger is if you go to sell, no matter how strongly you may state is is not a Gibson in your ad, the police or buyer and can always argue otherwise in court.

Agree with you that the photos are probably rope a dope.

If I did decide to import one of these, it wouldn't be to the USA so I'm not to worried about the legalities. As far trying to trick someone into thinking it's a legitimate Gibson, I'd rather burn the bitch first or just keep it as wall art in the bathroom.

:lol:

• Members

While browsing through the website posted on ... "OT: Vintage Music Ads" thread, I saw a link to a guitar related site at the bottom of the page and clicked to see.

Turns out it's these Trade Tang guys. I'm seeing more and more links to them everyday. You would think they'd be worried about lawsuits or whatever but instead, they seem to be getting bolder and business seems to be booming.

WTF is going on?!? There are cheap copies of any guitar you can think of there.

http://www.Craptang.com/for-sale/-Custom-Shop-Johnny-Signature-Guitar-Mint-/116679-1543757.html

Why promote them here :facepalm:

With every click they went up in the ranking of google and other sites

So it's easy to find them........

Archived