Are all guitars that come with a plastic nut junk??

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Not necc. Bone or or some other synthetic bonelike material is a nice upgrade and even brass has its merits, but plastic will do the job just fine if its done right. The plastic nut on my D28 is still functioning perfectly since 1985. The saddle was upgraded to bone the last fret job because it was simple and easy to do, but there was really no reason to go to the expense and trouble to redo the nut.

• Members

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

Call me crazy....and maybe I am wrong...but any electric I have ever owned that came with a plastic nut stock....was junk. Is this always the case? Or just a common factor of low end guitars?

Gibson and Fender and most electric guitars come stock with a plastic nut of some sort.  I change most of mine out but the nut that came stock on my Gibson Studio Lite sounded so good, with great sustain and harmonics, that I saw no reason.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

It's all about the cut. Lower-end guitars are going to cut corners on setups and nut-cutting, otherwise more people would not be able to tell the difference between a cheap import and an expensive MIA.

Agreed.  My G&L has a plastic nut - but it's obviously well cut as the guitar can go through hours of rehearshal and stay in complete tune.  I inititally through it would be something I would change, but I can't argue with the functionality and that plastic nut has stayed for 8+ years.

• Members

the only guitars that come with a bone nut stock are very high end or custom shop.  

so the op is saying about 90% of all guitars are crap, including all of Fender AVRI and Custom Shops, all USA Gibsons etc; lol

Archived