Bigsby installation / Tune o matic bridge question(s) !

tttablets

• Members

Is the angle on this Bigsby installation too sharp? I don't really want to be bringing the Bisgby too much further away from the bridge, but....?

The string isn't touching the bridge, though is pretty close to it. How much can I bring that saddle back, or is that totally dependent on intonation - I mean, how much forwards/backwards can you get away with on the intonation with a Tune O Matic?

Thanks!

IMG_5282.jpg
IMG_5280.jpg
IMG_5279.jpg

• Members

You don't want the string to ride on the edge of the bridge, and where the saddle sits should depend solely on intonation. That said, those Wilkinson roller bridges offer tons of clearance and a really nice solution for a close-mounted Bigsby. If you're going to stick with a traditional tune-o-matic, though, that angle is going to be preeeeeetty close.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poolshark View Post
You don't want the string to ride on the edge of the bridge, and where the saddle sits should depend solely on intonation.

Yep. I might be in the minority, but I think the downward angle on a bigsby equipped guitar should be as shallow as possible without allowing lateral drift - similar to the headstock angle.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think I'd install it at that angle. Bigsbys are fussy enough when paired with tune-o-matics...you want a certain amount of "glide" across the saddles and with that sharp angle I'm not sure you're going to get it. The Wilkinson roller bridge suggestion is a good one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams1 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but can you run the strings over the Bigsby in the opposite way they are now? In other words, go OVER the front fixed bar and under the back rotating bar?

it would operate backwards that way. You'd have to pull to loosen...but I'm not sure if it would actually work or not.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams1

View Post

This may be a stupid question, but can you run the strings over the Bigsby in the opposite way they are now? In other words, go OVER the front fixed bar and under the back rotating bar?

No. The bar is higher than the bridge, so the strings wouldn't even touch the bridge.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by poolshark

View Post

You don't want the string to ride on the edge of the bridge, and where the saddle sits should depend solely on intonation. That said, those Wilkinson roller bridges offer tons of clearance and a really nice solution for a close-mounted Bigsby. If you're going to stick with a traditional tune-o-matic, though, that angle is going to be preeeeeetty close.

Those wilky bridge work great with bigsby's. I put one on when I installed a bigsby and it works like a champ.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by poolshark

View Post

I like the roller bridge idea .... do I have to change the bridge posts if I do that though? Do you know if those Wilko bridges have the narrow posts (mine doesn't)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GomezAddams1

View Post

The second picture IS what I was basing my judgement off of. But in any case, I concur that rollers are the way to go.

I have seen people put the strings over that bar, but I think with this guitar it'd mean raising the bridge very high, which I don't really want to do. Be a bit worried about losing sustain with that idea too...?

• Members

this is a fatter post roller bridge;

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Roller-B...aul_p_661.html

here it is installed on one of my guitars;

P1010091.jpg

I also used a vibramate adaptor so I didn't have to drill additional holes into the guitar... you might want to try that as it just mounts to the stop bar studs... in your application it looks like your gonna have to drill into the pickguard which may be a problem.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool

View Post

You can get skinny posts that fit on fat studs.

The wilky bridge comes with studs that have a skinny top and a wide bottom. Not sure the exact thread size but they may drop in the existing bushings. The OP would need to verify that though.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Using a vibramate does give you less of an acute break over the bridge because the bigsby sits higher - although plenty of people have been adding bigsby - for decades before vibramate adapters without issue. Here is mine: http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/2013-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-with-Bigsby-B7-Do-you-like-the/m-p/35631031/highlight/true#M4191657

• Members

I put a B-70 on my Raven West because I had it laying in a drawer.  As you can see, it's a pretty tight fit, and the string angle coming off the bridge is quite sharp.  The Wilkinson roller bridge solved that.  Those things are the bomb!

rw

Archived