Epiphone LP Special Intonation

phaeton

• Members

Hey, all you folks that picked up one of those Epi LP Specials, like this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-I-P90-Electric-Guitar-107274870-i2101227.gc

How is the intonation?  I seem to have a hard time getting all six strings intonated correctly at the same time.  This is a one-piece bridge without individually adjustable string saddles, and the best I've been able to do is get the E, A and E strings set but the B,G and D strings are all sharp.  I've never really been able to get the guitar 100% 'in tune'.

It seems simple enough to find an upgraded bridge for it (and the guitar seems worth it).  Have you guys run into this, and/or upgraded the bridge or any parts on your Specials?

Thanks.

• Members

phaeton wrote:

Hey, all you folks that picked up one of those Epi LP Specials, like this one:

How is the intonation?  I seem to have a hard time getting all six strings intonated correctly at the same time.  This is a one-piece bridge without individually adjustable string saddles, and the best I've been able to do is get the E, A and E strings set but the B,G and D strings are all sharp.  I've never really been able to get the guitar 100\% 'in tune'.

It seems simple enough to find an upgraded bridge for it (and the guitar seems worth it).  Have you guys run into this, and/or upgraded the bridge or any parts on your Specials?

Thanks.

No guitar is ever 100\% in tune. There are always compromises. The player is a big part of the equation. My bud can fuss for hours over his action and intonation and get it perfect for him. Hand it to me and its an unplayable, buzzy, out of tune mess. 

On this type bridge, if you get the 2 Es right, and other strings are still sharp in the middle, your gonna have to set the Es slightly flat, and fret them harder. 

Or you might could install one of these, if it fits your stud spacing.

schaller.jpg

• Members

mschafft wrote:

If a string is too flat, see if it has a flatter angle than the others above the nut. The tension up there comes into play too.

Nothing above the nut has any impact on intonation.

Archived