Let's see your unusual guitars..

stormin1155

• Members

Do you have any guitars that are a little out-of-the-ordinary? ....a bit different?  .....maybe completely strange?  Let's see them!

I'll start.  This is my Lestercaster that I built a few years ago.  A marriage of Les Paul and Tele features.  Set flame maple neck with ebony board on a thin (1-1/4") single cut body.  Neck width at the (bone) nut is 1-3/4", 2-1/8" at  the 12th fret.  The body is mahogany with a 1/4" flame maple cap.  Headstock is an offset 3X3 with ebony plate on the back.  Black hardware.  Grover tuners, Wilkenson compensated tele bridge/saddles, GFS fatbody pickups.

It sounds great, and is the best playing neck I have.  It turned out exactly the way I wanted it to.

Let's see yours!

Lestercaster

Lestercaster 2

Lestercaster 3

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

stormin1155 wrote:

...I'll start.  This is my Lestercaster that I built a few years ago.  A marriage of Les Paul and Tele features... 

I really like your design. It reminds me of some of the St. Blues company designs.

http://www.saintblues.com/thelineup

I'm curious about your headstock, "scoop". It looks to my eye as if you started with a thicker (front to back) piece of lumber than might normally be used on a neck with this type of (Fender-ish, non tilt-back) headstock, and then removed more wood than unusal to achieve the flat face of the headstock. I could see how this would allow the strings to have more of a break-angle over the nut, and eliminate the need for string-trees. 

Or is it just my bad eye-sight and your headstock has conventional dimensions?

In any case, it's beautiful. I like they way the chicken-head knobs look, but I've never been comfortable with them when I tried them on my guitars.

• Members

This was built by a guy in Norfolk Va He said it was the 3rd guitar he built, he put it on Craigslist and I brought it home. The action and sound of this thing is great, the looks not so much but its the only one around like it. It's a one off that's fun to play and it stays in steady rotation because nothing else that I have sounds like it.017.JPG

• Members

My homemade pointy shredder guitar, still not finished after more than 20 years... :catembarrassed:

guitar1

guitar2

guitar3

The neck was purchased from Charlie's guitar shop in Dallas, they literally had a bucket full of them for sale. The body is made out of mahogany, and unfortunately it's not one piece of wood, it's 5. The top layer is two pieces, the bottom layer is 3 pieces. It's Fender scale (25 1/2 ") and Fender string spacing. Rhythm pickup is a Fender humbucker, lead pickup is some weird DiMarzio, a ToneZone or something.

I payed a luthier to slot the nut and do the initial set up. I wanted to at least make sure it was playable before I go to the hassle of finishing it. I was originally going to finish it with lacquer, but that sounds like a drawn-out ordeal, I'll probably use one of those rubbed-oil finishes. 

• Members

This is one of my more unusual guitars, a Luna Sol Aquarius.

I bought it for my wife and picked it up cheap on Amazon (about 40% less than normal street price).

It's kind of a cross between an LP and a Tele style.  It's a 25.5" set neck with ash body, mahogany neck, and rosewood fretboard.

The bridge pickup is mounted via pickup ring to the body like an LP but the neck pickup is mounted to the pickguard a-la a Tele.  

Luna_Sol_1.jpgThe stock pickups were a bit lackluster and I always thought the satin finished bits looked a bit cheap so it's undergone a few changes and now looks like this

LunaSolAquarius5.jpg

• Members

FrankenSteinberger wrote:

stormin1155 wrote:

...I'll start.  This is my Lestercaster that I built a few years ago.  A marriage of Les Paul and Tele features... 

I'm curious about your headstock, "scoop". It looks to my eye as if you started with a thicker (front to back) piece of lumber than might normally be used on a neck with this type of (Fender-ish, non tilt-back) headstock, and then removed more wood than unusal to achieve the flat face of the headstock. I could see how this would allow the strings to have more of a break-angle over the nut, and eliminate the need for string-trees. 

Or is it just my bad eye-sight and your headstock has conventional dimensions?

Thank you!  I started with a 7/8" thick piece and scouped out the headstock the same as Fender does, only a little deeper.  The piece of ebony was added to the back to give it the correct thickness.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived