No announcement yet.

omg, my ultimate NGD is today ...

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funnily enough, I had a bit of a move around in my music room today - not quite as big as moving to a new place, I know - but now I have room for one more guitar! Won't be long now!! haha

Comment

• i made sure to leave room for the electronic drumkit i'll be putting in there
      Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
      Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

• YO, CHECK MY BLING HOMEYS!

Spammerz R' Evil...!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by aenemated
          View Post

i made sure to leave room for the electronic drumkit i'll be putting in there

Still waiting for pics! Or it didn't happen.
          Good deals with: vangkm, verence, whiteyanderson, DCinDC, Spitfire Mojo, Ashtray, Tweedledee, Atrox, Twisty561, Thinkarogadum, archenemy5150, Flailer, Polk Salad, drummerdarko, T6TexanII

Originally Posted by Mike Fiasco

I've been to the country. What country needs is meth head songs. That's something the country kids can all relate to.

Comment

• HOLY S**T!!!

I go back to the States and Canada and come back 2 weeks later to... like 50 EXTRA PAGES!!! WTF guys!!! How can I keep up!?!?!? Now I have to spend half the morning reading (surreptitiously, I'm at work, after all) just to catch up!!

I picked up a really nice cheap (and great!!! I am still shocked!!!) Squier Stratocaster while in the States, but no amps, so I couldn't pull the old cross-border hop with anything dutiable... made me feel so... normal. I tried out about 25 guitars one day in Cincinnati(sp?) and this was the best one I could get with the cash in my pocket (my credit card didnt work in the states and they completely refused to take yen...bastards...lol)

Anyway, got it home to Japan a couple days ago and replaces the neck pickup for a SD single coil and it sounds really good (for a strat).

pics of all my stuff will have to wait for a later date though, if you care to see them...

Happy new year... off to read everything from page 32 on...
            Fake it til ya make it!
            gear:
            25 extra pounds since my last post!

Comment

• How was Belleville? I was going to say we should meet at the Winchester Arms for a pint, but you had already buggered off for the holidays.
              And once you're gone, you can't come back/ When you're out of the blue and into the black

Comment

• I hate to stray OT or anything, but what causes feedback anyway? I'm not talking about the squeal you get when you get to close to your amp with unpotted pickups, I'm talking about the infinite sustain you get when your amp is loud enough. Is it sound waves resonating the wood which in turn resonates the strings, or are the pickups acting as microphones ('splain me how that one works)?
                Originally Posted by Puckman

I'd have to put "Goo" in there first, personally.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Roy
                  View Post

I hate to stray OT or anything, but what causes feedback anyway? I'm not talking about the squeal you get when you get to close to your amp with unpotted pickups, I'm talking about the infinite sustain you get when your amp is loud enough. Is it sound waves resonating the wood which in turn resonates the strings, or are the pickups acting as microphones ('splain me how that one works)?

Hey Roy, long time no chat.

welcome to the....uh...... well, youll figure it out pretty soon.

Anyway as far as feedback,

I'm sure when the others here sober up they might be able to s'plain it better than me., but I THINK it is a combination of the air mass from the speaker vibrating the strings AND the pups acting like a mic AND the body of the guitar resonating and causing sympathetic vibrations in the strings.

But god forbid, I try to sound like I know what I'm talking about here.

When I "know" about something, I ain the least bit shy about speaking with confidence(some interpret it as arrogance, oh well,) about a particular subject, but Im not sure about this one.

I dont know which one of the factors contributes most, but I would probably guess that the wood resonating and vibrating has less of an effect than the other two.

Now, I will shut the hell up and let someone who knows more about this speak.

Oh, and by the way, these guys are pretty serious about sticking to the topic of aenamated's new guitar day as you can tell.

Also, there is a five dollar cover at the door here, but we will let you on the guest list this ONE time.

Dont worry though, I dont think anyone here has ever actually collected the cover charge .

"You´╗┐ people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

View Post

I hate to stray OT or anything, but what causes feedback anyway? I'm not talking about the squeal you get when you get to close to your amp with unpotted pickups, I'm talking about the infinite sustain you get when your amp is loud enough. Is it sound waves resonating the wood which in turn resonates the strings, or are the pickups acting as microphones ('splain me how that one works)?

Both.

Pickups are in essence small microphones that are supposed to pickup the vibration of the stings.

When you're amp is loud and you're facing it with say a semi-hollow. The air being moved by your speaker causes the wood/strings to vibrate even more, thus prolonging the sustain (cause the pickups keep picking it up). Sort of like a vicious circle.

This is the same exact phenomenon that causes your radio to squeal when you call in to a radio show and don't turn down your radio. The same signal is amplified ad infinitum through the feedback loop (phone receiver --> over the phone line --> radio station --> radio speaker --> back to phone receiver).
                    Good deals with: vangkm, verence, whiteyanderson, DCinDC, Spitfire Mojo, Ashtray, Tweedledee, Atrox, Twisty561, Thinkarogadum, archenemy5150, Flailer, Polk Salad, drummerdarko, T6TexanII

I've been to the country. What country needs is meth head songs. That's something the country kids can all relate to.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Puckman
                      View Post

Pickups are in essence small microphones...

Here's the thing... no they aint. No moving diaphram, electromagnetic waves only. So how can they 'hear' sound waves?

That said, if you scream into a strat real loud, it'll come out the amp.

Comment

View Post

Here's the thing... no they aint. No moving diaphram, electromagnetic waves only. So how can they 'hear' sound waves?

That said, if you scream into a strat real loud, it'll come out the amp.

You just answered your own question

I'm not techhead, so I don't know what the technical explanation is, but the pickups do act like mics, they pick up the vibrations of the strings (which keep getting re-amplified by the air moving from the speaker).

Comment

View Post

You just answered your own question

I'm not techhead, so I don't know what the technical explanation is, but the pickups do act like mics, they pick up the vibrations of the strings (which keep getting re-amplified by the air moving from the speaker).

Then why am I still scratching my head?

I guess the question is: How can an electromagnetic pickup act as a microphone and pickup non-magnetic ****************? Perhaps the strings are acting like crappy ribbon mics?

Comment

• It's not picking up non-magnetic ****************. It's picking up vibrations of the strings. The strings are metal.

I believe the way it works is that vibrating metal objects (strings) generate tiny amounts of magnetic fields that are converted into electric signal by the pickup, that's its job.

So as long as you have a string vibrating, your pickup is going to generate signal. It doesn't really matter WHAT causes your string to vibrate. It could be a pick, a finger, or the air from the speaker.

At least that's my explanation....Where's Wyatt anyway?

Comment

View Post

It's not picking up non-magnetic ****************. It's picking up vibrations of the strings. The strings are metal.

I believe the way it works is that vibrating metal objects (strings) generate tiny amounts of magnetic fields that are converted into electric signal by the pickup, that's its job.

So as long as you have a string vibrating, your pickup is going to generate signal. It doesn't really matter WHAT causes your string to vibrate. It could be a pick, a finger, or the air from the speaker.

At least that's my explanation....Where's Wyatt anyway?

right... so the strings are acting like crappy ribbon mics and the body like a crappy pzm mic (sort of) . So, all strings being equal, it's the body what makes the difference. Does that mean my more resonant thin maple Ric 450 sustains better than my less resonant block of hog LP?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by BobbaFret
                                View Post

Where the hell is DC with his NGD?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...php?p=25775518

Sank like a stone. No boobies. One HNGD. No waves.
                                DC in DC

DIY, the ultimate in wankery. Actually, wankery is the ultimate in DIY.

SPAM: My eBay Auctions!

My Good Dealings with, SPAM Thread, & Signature Quotes post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                HCEG PLATINUM TRADER

Comment

Working...
                                X