"Ibanez" double neck

balubam

• Members

Hi - I have one "Ibanez" double neck guitar (2402, or ST1200BS "type") - at least it "says" on headstock - however - I haven't find any other one looking like this one - see how it looks...
 Also - it does have SN - 011 732 - but "not recognized" as Ibanez1.jpg
So - anybody with an idea what this may be?

Thanks in advance,

• Members

balubam wrote:

Hi - I have one "Ibanez" double neck guitar (2402, or ST1200BS "type") - at least it "says" on headstock - however - I haven't find any other one looking like this one - see how it looks...
 Also - it does have SN - 011 732 - but "not recognized" as Ibanez
1.jpg
So - anybody with an idea what this may be?

Thanks in advance,

So, for the sake of my post, I'm going to assume that you are a non-guitarist who aquired the guitar through the death of a family member, or some similiar story. That is why this post my sound a little, "dumbed down", my apologies if you are actually Jimmy Page, or someone like that.

The guitar pictured is an Ibanez copy of the original Gibson-made EDS-1275 model. Ibanez called their guitar the "Double Axe", and it was built from 1974-1976. It gets a mention in the Wiki article about the original Gibson Model EDS-1275 (scroll down a bit more than half-way):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson\_EDS-1275

Although your guitar is a Japanese-made copy of the original USA-made Gibson, it is by no-means considered a third-rate instrument. Guitars of your type, from that era are prized by some collectors. 

If (as many people do, how have aquired instruments that the no little about) you are looking for a value, I'm afraid I'm not the person who would know that. I think your instrument has a bolt-on neck construction, which means it wouldn't be as valuable as a glued-in net instrument (this sort of detail can vary). If someone told me that they paid $800 for it, I wouldn't be too surprise, maybe even more. But, like I said, I don't follow this market.

Heck, if the case fits an actual original Gibson EDS 1275, someone looking for such a case would probably pay a hundred bucks for it.

• Members

Frank, thanks for so quick response ... (thank God, nobody recently died .. I got this one through a swap ... and for sure not Jimmy Page - but can play few chords...  )

And true - I also thought it may be Ibanez (and did some "research"" myself) - so, I did find some differences between all the "EDS-1275" replicas - and all look somehow like this (I'm posting this one, since at the headstock of mine is engraved ST-1200 BS - but obviously, it isn't):

Ibanez\_Studio\_ST-1200BS\_double\_neck\_electric\_guitar.jpg

but - mine is like this:

6.jpg

and I couldn't find this "configuration" of pots/switches nowhere ... every single guitar I foud on the net had the other one - that's why I'm a bit confused...

So - more ideas?

Again - many thanks...

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I have a 1974 Pre-lawsuit Ibanez SG style doubleneck - It is an almost exact replica of the Gibson EDS-1275. The things that are different on your doubleneck are: chrome covered pickups - these were in the original versions from 1973. In mid 1974, Ibanez pickups on the 6 string were uncovered and they were zebra colored, like Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. However, yours has a serial number. That didn't start until August of 1975. Other differences - The lack of a pickguard....The neck inlays are not the double rhombus style and yours are beautiful compared to the Ibanez versions which are likely not real abalone nor pearl, but yours look real...The tuners are way too nice on your guitar... The style of the Ibanez logo looks different, but it's hard to tell from this photo...The positions of the volume and tone controls....as well as the selector switches...the cutaways on your guitar seem to be even deeper than the 1974 SG copies and even the later versions. The 1973 and early 1974 had softer cutaways. They were changed and made deeper in mid-1974 but not as deep as yours. The headstock on this guitar looks to be pre-lawsuit, but the rest of it is different. I love the look of this guitar and the beautiful wood and finish. Keep Asking around, maybe this was a home-made guitar? or modified or perhaps it is even a unique Ibanez one-off? It looks pretty nice

• Members

Archived