Happy Independence day from The Greatest country on Earth.

DaveAronow

• Members

phaeton wrote:

I love our country but I know that we wouldn't be anything without England, France and Germany.

So props to them too!

I hope no one from the first nations read your comment. Ouch!

And I guess we should thank England and France for bringing a few folks from Africa back in the days. Where would Blues, Jazz and indeed Rock and Roll be without this most generous and selfless contribution from the European motherlands.

I daresay your short list (of three countries) falls a little short of who made this country of yours great.

As for me, on the fourth of July, I usually celerate my birthday. Cheers!

• Members

axegrinder wrote:

Funny troll is still funny.

911 wasn't funny at all, yet it happened for a reason.  Putting yourself above others has consequences, even in jest, for it influences the weak minded, which is a large majority of any population.

• Members

Billy billy, I think you missed the satire of Dave's posts. It wasnt so obvious in the OP, but the second post makes it clear that Dave is mocking patriotism. The irony is that you bring up 911... radical Muslims get worked pretty easily over satire... how about when it's patriotism that's getting skewered?

• Members

axegrinder wrote:

Sorry Billy, I see you recognized he was kidding. So we need to avoid joking about certain topics to protect the weak minded? That's unAmerican!!
;)

Sorry axegrinder, I have a bee in my bonnet about extreme patriotism, of any country, for it eventually leads to jingoism.  Basically, I was trolling.  :smileyhappy:

Man, I had the weirdest experience a few years ago. Y'see I was born an American. Greenpernt hospital in Brooklyn NY to be sure. But that's not the thing of it. Like most folks who grew up in the 60's, I questioned a lot of things my country was doing. I felt morally superior a lot and it was way cool. But that's not even the thing of it. Y'know, there's side doors and alternate universes and stuff and if you're not careful... pfft. Off you go. I woke up at different times as a citizen of a different country. First France, where I felt quite at home dissin America for awhile, then to Turkmenistan.... I can't say much about that but I wet my pants a little there. This went on for a couple of weeks. I kept waking up as a citizen of a different burg. Disconcerting, sometimes arousing but definitely gave me weird dreams. I liked myself as a Japanese man a lot. But I couldn't understand a word I was saying... then, as if I had never been away... wham blam slam... here I was in Marlboro country. What a vicious rush. I was optimistic, I felt strong like I could jump over a cart at a single bound. It was with tears of joy in my eye that I kissed the ground after attempting the aforementioned jump.

Everybody needs a day to celebrate themselves. Happy Birthday, America!

Archived