telecaster setup...Easy slinky bendy twangyness?

thom

• Members

Looks like I'm keeping my Fender 60s tele. The only reason why I never really bonded with it, is that it souds 'too good', if that makes any sense at all. It's the first tele I played that doesn't feel very 'loose' and slinky. 

My other guitars have a bit of string rattle, just the slightest hint of buzz, with overal petty low string tension compared to the tele, even with the same gauge/brand strings and similar action. Frets are the same size too. All he way down the neck, the notes on my strat are almost chocked, which is an okay compromise, cause I'm mainly a lead player anyway:)

Most people would consider that a lousy setup, but it somehow works for me. Makes every note sound thick and full for some reason, and as far as playability allows me to go faster/smoother/whatever-er. It's not just in my head, I compared to a number of different guitars. It's kinda like when you tune down a whole step with 10s.

Anyway, I can't seem to get that same sorta vibe going with the tele, which is a shame cause it's otherwhise a great guitar. Really dig the neck, the pickups are finen, etc...

So now I'm guessing it might have to do with the neck relief, rather than with the saddle hight or anything else. 

Anyone understand at all what the h*ll I'm talking about?:)

Do I want to try more/less neck relief? Anything else I should try? Thanks!

• Members

Yeah paying someone else to do the job is always the safest and easiest way out...

I was just hoping someone could maybe help me figure it out, and tell me what to look at specificly. I read somewhere that the string angle at the bridge saddles makes a difference in how stiff the strings feel, that's one of the things I was hoping someone could clear up for me...

For now I'm just gonna mess with the action a litte more, try different strings, and I'll try to measure the relief somehow. 

• Members

thom wrote:

Most people would consider that a lousy setup, but it somehow works for me.
Makes every note sound thick and full for some reason
, and as far as playability allows me to go faster/smoother/whatever-er. It's not just in my head, I compared to a number of different guitars. It's kinda like when you tune down a whole step with 10s.

Higher action achieves the above.

Archived