Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Guitar has faded!

DSCF390h6.jpg

My Epi Has Faded, I have left it on a stand in the Sun for years, my own fault yes.Its got a yellowish tinge to it now. I didn't think Poly did that?

Anythought besides that fact that I'm an idiot for letting it happen?

Attached Files
    I'm Me.<br><br>Guild GAD M120E<br>2006 50s Classic series MIM Fender Stratocaster 2 tone sunburst.<br>2004 Epi LP Standard in Trans Blue With Tonerider Alnico 2<br>97 Epi LP Junior Red with pots, caps and the magnets in the pickup repleaced.<br><br>Vox pathfinder 15R<br>Vox VT 15

Still a sweet looking guitar.

I wonder is it the poly that has yellowed or have the UV rays passed through the finish and yellowed the wood?

Comment

• roughtrade
      roughtrade commented
      Editing a comment

You're probably lucky it hasn't come unglued.

plasticscouse wrote:

DSCF390h6.jpg

My Epi Has Faded, I have left it on a stand in the Sun for years, my own fault yes.Its got a yellowish tinge to it now. I didn't think Poly did that?

Anythought besides that fact that I'm an idiot for letting it happen?

Not at all - that yellowing comes from the formation of the guitar's soul.

And, fortunately for you, blue and yellow blend together very well.

Attached Files
    <div class="signaturecontainer">I don't play a lot of fancy guitar. I don't want to play it. The kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean licks.<br />
    ~ <i>John Lee Hooker </i></div>

Comment

• *BLEEP*
      *BLEEP* commented
      Editing a comment

Just give it the nickname "Sunny" and be done with it.  

Well we all fade with age.

Having heart and staying alive is what matters.

It seems like you love this guitar. Grow old and fade together.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">* Partsocaster - Fender CAR/MIM Body (Pups - GFS Vin AlNiCo Overwound Staggers) / Squier CV '50s Neck<br>* Fender 50th Anniversary Duo Sonic Body (Bridge Pup - No-Name Minihum ; Neck Pup - Squier CV '50s AlNiCo) / Squier Standard JagMaster 24&quot; Neck<br>* Agile 2300 (Pups GFS Retrotron NYII)<br>* Bad Monkey OD<br>* DOD FX 40B 7 Band Equalizer<br>* Fender Champion 600<br>* Laney LG35R</div>

Comment

• Kap'n
      Kap'n commented
      Editing a comment

Might want to keep it out of the sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZze39mq5g">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDZze39mq5g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

It barely went out of tune, just a little tweaking every now and then. 

It was bought with inhertance money from my grandmother. so good or bad I'm never selling it anyway.I've replaced the bridge with one that didn't have the spring wire, it buzzed because I fiddled with it too much. But other than that it's still solid. I reversed the Bridge pickup years ago because I preferred the look.

The other day I experimented trying the Peter Green mod on flippping the magnet on the bridge pup (just to be different than everyone else who does it on the neck, and I'm not touching the wiring I'm not brave enough) on it, I didn't really like the result and flipped it back. Wax everywhere, but it did seem to lift the pup a little, So I decided to take apart the neck pup as well. Again more wax everywhere I didn't move the magent this time but it seemed to get a similar result. Well to my ears anyway.

I now know that 2004 has the "hot" brige pup and the "57" in the neck that was also used in the DOT bridge and neck so says the stickers, the magents are alnico (well metal not ceramic) and wax potted.

I'm Me.<br><br>Guild GAD M120E<br>2006 50s Classic series MIM Fender Stratocaster 2 tone sunburst.<br>2004 Epi LP Standard in Trans Blue With Tonerider Alnico 2<br>97 Epi LP Junior Red with pots, caps and the magnets in the pickup repleaced.<br><br>Vox pathfinder 15R<br>Vox VT 15

Comment

Working...
    X