$350 and buying used. Give me suggestions

chimi

• Members

I've been clearing out most of my gear as i have just moved. 

I'm literally down to one guitar at the moment. A little known strat with 'blade' pickups. 

I've usually been an LP guy but do enjoy flying v's, semi hollows (i.e. 335 type guitars), and others.

Right now the two guitars i have been thinking about are the Dean Leslie West signature (in tobacco burst)- it just seems like a great straight ahead rock machine.

The other has been the Ampeg (dan armstrong) AMG1 this is the doulbe cut with two p90s. Actually played one at a music store the other day but the price tag was a bit much in relation to the shape the guitar was in.

I am very open minded though so throw out any suggestions. I'd like to keep it to $300-$350 MAX and am looking to buy used to get more bang for the buck. I would like for the guitar to be a bit unique as i am tired of the same old. Although i must say i have been gassing for a strat (most of the fenders i've picked up lately have felt amazing in my hands, mostly the mid level MIM). Perhaps one of the fender blacktop models? 

• Members

Hmmmm... Usually an LP guy, but you've been digging Fenders and might want something a little different - how about a Toronado, if you can track one down. There's also the Cyclone - a cool Mustang-like guitar with a "regular" scale, a bridge HB and a neck Strat single.

Or for currently produced models, how about an Epi Nighthawk? They have a Fender scale, some Fender-ish tones, they're a little different and very cool, and they're easily in your price range (maybe even new).

• Members

The Fender Blacktop models are pretty sweet, so if you can find one for $350 then I'd say go for it. 

My main guitar is a Hagstrom Swede (basically a Les Paul copy) that I bought for $400 with the hard case.  That was a good decision.  If you can find one for cheaper then definitely buy it.

Archived