Dragonfire Pickups? Anyone?

awd83

• Members

they are definitely BETTER than the stock Agile pickups. I have a DF Screamer in the neck of my SZ320 and it sounds FANTASTIC. Not muddy at all. Its actually my favorite neck pickup right now. I have the bridge but I havent used it yet, I am sure its good too though. For the price they are great.

• Members

That I wouldn't know, but my ears seem to prefer alnico to ceramic mags, at least from what I've had on my guitars. I've been using pups by Wilkinson on my latest two projects (both alnico single coils on a Cort G-200 & a set of alnico HBs that I won on Ebay for $20, mounted in my Yamaha 120SD. I really dig both sets, the HBs also have 4 wire & do splt really well.

My only concern might be how "hot" that bridge at 16.kohms will play along with your amp/FX. I have had "overwound" pups like that which I could never jell with due to them distorting too soon. GFS crunchy PATS come to mind.

But hey, even if these Dragonfire pups don't sound like a $300 botique set, you get to try them & no big $ outlay loss if then don't ring your bell in the end. & they may very well DO just that

• Members

That I wouldn't know, but my ears seem to prefer alnico to ceramic mags, at least from what I've had on my guitars. I've been using pups by Wilkinson on my latest two projects (both alnico single coils on a Cort G-200 & a set of alnico HBs that I won on Ebay for $20, mounted in my Yamaha 120SD. I really dig both sets, the HBs also have 4 wire & do splt really well.

My only concern might be how "hot" that bridge at 16.kohms will play along with your amp/FX. I have had "overwound" pups like that which I could never jell with due to them distorting too soon. GFS crunchy PATS come to mind.

But hey, even if these Dragonfire pups don't sound like a $300 botique set, you get to try them & no big $ outlay loss if then don't ring your bell in the end. & they may very well DO just that

Thanks for the encouragement. I know $25 is really cheap, but I was curious if I went with the others if I might like that sound better, I really don't want to buy both sets and switch out pups that much. I do want some cleans, but I play mostly distorted. That neck isn't too hot, so I guess I could always just switch to it whenever I wanted the cleans.

• Members

Thanks for the encouragement. I know $25 is really cheap, but I was curious if I went with the others if I might like that sound better, I really don't want to buy both sets and switch out pups that much. I do want some cleans, but I play mostly distorted. That neck isn't too hot, so I guess I could always just switch to it whenever I wanted the cleans.

FWIW - Rose Pickups is taking pre-orders on the incoming Mariposa and Buff Beauty sets for not much more than that. I can tell you for sure the Rose pickups are much better than the dragonfires.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Money was tight, and I destroyed the Seymore Duncans in my strat, so I figured these would make a great stop gap pick up until cash funding got better..boy was I wrong!!!  These pick ups were FAR better than the Seymores I had in it, and these are the low end priced ones!!!!  They are loud, clean, and overall much better than I had ever expected. I actually plan to get the David Gilmore verson of these.

I can't say enough about how impressed I am with these pick ups!!!!

Archived