all-round high end style superstrat

strings4v

• Members

Hi, i am looking to buy a new guitar these days. As of now i play a superstrat. Mahogany body, Canadian hard maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, and duncan JB, Vintage rail, and 59, and Gotoh floyd rose. It is an awesome guitar But I sometimes need a little bit different flavor or simply a guitar with a better resolution quility. As I say in all of my previous threads, i love Guthrie Govan an Andy Timmons. I looked at some of the guitars. Fender Select and Suhr pro (standard or modern) seem like they suit all my conditions. (Except i really have to break a bank to buy Suhr lines..) 

1. I want HSS pickup configuration. If it's HSH or HH i want at least the front pickup being able to coil split or go parallel. Bridge needs to be a humbuggy. Also I want a slightly differently voiced pickup than SD JB. 

2. As far as the bodyshape goes, I'd like it to be a superstrat or double cutaway with a fine maple top (either flame or quilted)

3. I want it to get hot enough to cover singing sustain in instrumental solo but I don't want hardcore metal type output. It'd be better if the pickups are dynamic responding. 

4. Bridge type.. I don't really care as long as it is not floyd rose. Wilkinson type would be ideal. 

5. body wood... Basswood or Alder is awesome. It's ok for it to be Mahogany but i'd rather try something else. 

6. So like i said Fender Select strat or suhr pro standrad or modern looked awesome. Also something like Godin Progression boutique or carvin custom guitar looked good too. If you guys know Suhr or Anderson type guitar (all round superstrat with good looking top!!) in a budgetl, shoot me some of those. I can spend maximum up to $1000 used. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

strings4v wrote:

Hi, i am looking to buy a new guitar these days. As of now i play a superstrat. Mahogany body, Canadian hard maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, and duncan JB, Vintage rail, and 59, and Gotoh floyd rose. It is an awesome guitar But I sometimes need a little bit different flavor or simply a guitar with a better resolution quility. As I say in all of my previous threads, i love Guthrie Govan an Andy Timmons. I looked at some of the guitars. Fender Select and Suhr pro (standard or modern) seem like they suit all my conditions. (Except i really have to break a bank to buy Suhr lines..) 

1. I want HSS pickup configuration. If it's HSH or HH i want at least the front pickup being able to coil split or go parallel. Bridge needs to be a humbuggy. Also I want a slightly differently voiced pickup than SD JB. 

2. As far as the bodyshape goes, I'd like it to be a superstrat or double cutaway with a fine maple top (either flame or quilted)

3. I want it to get hot enough to cover singing sustain in instrumental solo but I don't want hardcore metal type output. It'd be better if the pickups are dynamic responding. 

4. Bridge type.. I don't really care as long as it is not floyd rose. Wilkinson type would be ideal. 

5. body wood... Basswood or Alder is awesome. It's ok for it to be Mahogany but i'd rather try something else. 

6. So like i said Fender Select strat or suhr pro standrad or modern looked awesome. Also something like Godin Progression boutique or carvin custom guitar looked good too. If you guys know Suhr or Anderson type guitar (all round superstrat with good looking top!!) in a budgetl, shoot me some of those. I can spend maximum up to $1000 used. 

Carvin makes a few models that would fit the bill - DC135, C66 (closest to a Suhr or Anderson type guitar), Bolt, or Bolt Plus

• Members

strings4v wrote:

Why not save your money until you have enough to get what you really want?

• Members

$1000 prolly isn't going to get you to a used Suhr....a good alternative for a little bit more imo, is ESP LTD Elite ST-1 guitar , made in Japan. It has that slightly oversized body like a Suhr and feels  more solid than basswood guitars like some Ibanez's and seems to have the appointments you're looking for....Duncan Custom in the bridge. Plus it has the truss rod adjustment like ALL guitars should have...a wheel with spaced hex screw wrench holes at the body end of the neck.

ST-1\_AQM.png

• Members

You can find a used Suhr in the $1500-$2000 range, but I haven't seen them much less.  I've seen some Andersons about the same.

There are so many superstrats out there in the $1000 range, your best bet is to take a few months to shop and figure out what you really want (and don't).  That ESP Ltd looks cool!

• Members

LTD elite seems perfect except its a floyd rose setup. I already have a superstrat that has gotoh FR and noticed that it has a little short sustain. Not to mention tuning in between songs is a gamble. Once every strings starts to go out if tune AS i attempt to tune the guitar...... Nightmare

Archived