I think I just threw up in my mouth

Bucksstudent

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Swift#Peer_recognition

This exists. Neil Young, Stephen Stills, and an whole bunch of other people I once thought were cool, decent musicians.

Next thing you know, Trent Reznor's going to produce Beiber, David Byrne will make a band with the other members of N*Sync, and Phish are going to do a Halloween set of Katy Perry songs.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

homestar_kevin wrote:

I mean, you gotta give it up to her, if all these people can give her a bit of praise, you should at least be able to admit that she's talented.

Might not be your thing, but the talent/ability is pretty undeniable at this point no?

I'll admit that she's talented at bullying her ex-boyfriends by writing bad songs about them and making hits. That's it.

I'm a country fan. I know more about the genre than even diehard fans, because it's too often ignored as ignorant or barbaric. Mainstream country changed in the eighties, with the end of the nineties killing off any traditional sensibilities left. Taylor Swift is not only a miscategorized pop star, but more known for her image than her music. The first time I even read or heard her name was when a girl in high school wore one of her shirts. People, especially guys, thought she was a joke; a manufactured musician. Now, several years later, I know her as a pampered brat. Kanye West was a hero the day he stole the mic from her; her shut her up for the first time in her life, and she cried about it.

No, I don't think she has any talent for anything but glamour. She doesn't even write all of her own songs: She almost always had a co-writer. Max Martin, the same guy who worked with THE BACKSTREET BOYS, cowrote "I Knew You Were Trouble." She's got as much talent as the producers of her albums.

• Members

I haven't heard any songs by Taylor Swift that do anything for me, so mostly I ignore her.  If people like her, great.  If they don't, great. Whether she has any real talent or not doesn't matter, because people think she's hot.  That's her guaranteed ticket to the spotlight. 

Also, she's inexcusably too tall.

• Members

Songs about exes, nasty break-ups, and the like are as part of Nashville as fiddles and pedal steel guitars. And so is singing other people's songs. Of course you know this already, because you're an expert.

And yes, most everything coming out of Nashville is formulaic pop dreck. She was smart and targeted the 14 year old girl market, which has been the largest segment of the record buying population since about 1964. Those guys are just patting her on the back. I wouldn't look to them to recognize good new music any more than I'd look for it on modern country radio.

• Members

Wow, bipolar much?  Your reactions are just off the chart inappropriate at times Buck.  We all want to like you dude, but what's with the invective?  Your threads get plenty of play and I for one generally respect and appreciate your input.  You seem like an intelligent and talented young man, but sometimes you just flip for no apparent reason and sound quite immature.  You can blame everybody else if you want but ultimately it's got to start with you. (steps off from soapbox)

• Members

@bucksstudent

Dick cheese here. I'm not offended. At best, I am annoyed that when your statement is challenged, your best response is to say, "Shut up, dick cheese." What a poor way to debate! Your next response is almost as bad, because it doesn't even refute anything I said. It was just rude. But that's your internet personality, and that's fine. I was merely pointing out the fact that you could only produce effective insults, rather than rebuttals. Also, you seemed to be upset over trivialities. You're too young to get upset over stuff like that. Coincidentally, so is Betty White, to give you some perspective.

• Members

eh, even though you'll never find me buying or even downloading any of her music, I agree with those peer comments and feel she's bona fide.

My wife can't stand her and I think she's "alright" so we have this debate at home on the odd occasion that we happen to have the tube on something where she appears. 

It's definitely not for my demographic, but I do think there's far worse {censored}e out there; and I am a belieber the bieber is {censored}e.     It's funny to watch that little puke work his way up.  He actually thinks he a tough stud muffin these days.  Amazing what the idolization by preteens can do to one's psyche.  I think he confuses America's love for celebrity with recognition of talent.   God, I'd rather hear David Cassidy than the bieb - how's that for puking in one's own oral cavity?

:smileylol:

Archived