Tuning to A - 432 Hz and not 440 Hz

micmike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Being slightly sharp on purpose is a way to add a little "brilliance" to a note especially in the higher register (orchestral players know about this) but being FLAT is just being out of tune. Gee! :facepalm:

The only reason I know for changing pitch would be if one instrument just can't tune to the others (like an old piano in a rehearsal room) and you want to be together.

• Members

There have been plenty of players that have tuned up or down by a few cents for example Dimebag. However it can only work on manually tuned pitched instruments that are tuned by the player before and during each performance. So if a band contains keyboards or other instruments that are pre tuned then it will just be out of tune. Maybe once it was a valid system but these days A=440 and with so much modern technology and instruments based around A=440 it would just sound out of tune.

• Members

Total, utter BOLLOCKS.

Apparently, 100 years ago people could differentiate between 432hz and 440hz BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER NO RLY BELIEVE ME HERE IS FACTS ABOUT IT WITH ARBITRARY MEANINGLESS COINCIDENCES*. :facepalm:

Two serious comments:

1) I doubt most bands seriously tune fractionally out (especially only on selected songs); more likely the master tape has been sped up or down marginally during mixing/mastering.

2) That said... I know that Tommy Emmanuel - when performing and recording solo - tunes his two main acoustics at (two different) non-standard frequencies, ostensibly because those particular guitars seem to resonate better (and I'm willing to believe him :thu:).

_______

*proof of stupidity: according to this site

The speed of light is 186,000 miles per sec (guess what the square root is) 432 ! 186,000 mps also equals 1 foot per nano second, we can have a look at why imperial measurements are so significant later on.

Never mind that that's an approximation of the speed of light in the first place... miles and seconds are totally human constructs. There is nothing amazing about two arbitrary scales having a coincidental factor.

• Members

If what they say is true about A=432 until a hundred years ago, I would like to hear some classical music with the entire orchestra tuned to A=432 to see what it sounds like. With the whole orchestra in tune, nothing will be "out of tune" and could provide quite a nice sound.

• Members

Hmm, this just got me thinking.

One of my acoustics resonates a G#. Like, when I fully mute the strings and tap the body the "note" is a G# according to my tuner. Now I wonder if I were to change the tension by tuning to something else, would this change? Interesting. I may do that, though I do dislike alternate tunings and "dropped anything."

• Members

If you're really interested in tuning perfection... listen to Harry Partch's music. You might not like it, but he re organized the tuning system so that it was perfect mathematically (which our standard tuning system is not). He even built his own instruments adapted to it.

• Members

If you want to play along with AC/DC, you need something like a Korg CA-30 tuner. It lets you tune up (or down) to the whacked out tunings that AC/DC used, allegedly by accident.

The story is that everyone else would tune up to the first guy who showed up in the studio. So AC/DC has songs at 429 Hz, 432 Hz, 447 Hz and everything in between.

• Members

If you want to play along with AC/DC, you need something like a Korg CA-30 tuner. It lets you tune up (or down) to the whacked out tunings that AC/DC used, allegedly by accident.

The story is that everyone else would tune up to the first guy who showed up in the studio. So AC/DC has songs at 429 Hz, 432 Hz, 447 Hz and everything in between.

Actually, the early AC/DC studio tracks were often sped up or slowed down slightly so that Bon Scott could more easily sing the vocals. At least, that's what I've read.

• Members

If what they say is true about A=432 until a hundred years ago, I would like to hear some classical music with the entire orchestra tuned to A=432 to see what it sounds like. With the whole orchestra in tune, nothing will be "out of tune" and could provide quite a nice sound.

No problem, try and find some Baroque play on periodical instruments, from say 1660 to 1710 you can find that Italina, French, German, English etc all had A tuned to a different frequency. I have quite a few of recordings like that.

Archived