Blacktop Jazzmaster Modifications

CannSound

• Members

I'm considering getting a jazzmaster, I've never owned a fender guitar before, but I've tried out the Classic Player at my local shop. A classic player model is not in my price range, so I'm looking into getting a Backtop and doing some cosmetic and hardware modifications. I'm wondering if a standard tortoise shell pickguard (like the one on Fender.com) will fit on a blacktop, or whether I need to have one custom-made, and whether the body can support little things like new knobs and pickup covers. I'm also wondering how much work is required to switch the HB pickup to a classic JM single-coil. Also, any info you can provide on the guitar itself or your opinions on it would be appreciated.

• Members

Not sure it's routed for a JM pickup where the HB is. Probably not. A Phat Cat would probably work well there, if not. I've not been crazy about the feel of the Blactops for whatever reason. I see a lot of them used too, so I'm thinking I'm not the only one. 

If you can wait, I'd suggest scoping out a good deal on a used Japanese one. These are much more in the spirit of the original, and can really shine when loaded with the right pickups and harware combo.

• Members

I remember asking about the Blacktops, and I think I remember being told that the bridge route isn't meant for a Jazzmaster pickup.

The MIJ ones are the way to go, since they sound like Jazzmasters are "supposed to." I have a Classic Player, and I love it, and if you like them, I've seen them used for $500ish. They are a little different than traditional Jazzmasters, but they have the spirit, if you will.

• Members

Why not go for the Squier J.Mascis Jazzmaster?  It's cheaper than a Blacktop and, IMHO, much closer to the CP than the Blacktop.  Doesn't have the locking trem, and a few other details, but I think you'll be happier--and no mods needed.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

@yanktar

My CP Jazzmaster is tied for my favorite guitar (at least in my collection). The Mascis one is pretty close to the CP, then? I'd like to check one out.

Again, I'm not the greatest player but I thought the JM was a really good alternative to the CP, since the actual price is about half ($400 vs $800). I briefly got to mess with one at the local Sam Ash and was quite delighted with it.  MUCH closer to the Classic Player than the Black Top.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks for all of the replies guys, it helped. But I decided I'd go with the BT, as I don't know enough about guitars to know what I want, and this sounds like it can give me some examples. I've read elsewhere that the pick guard fits, if there's someone who's ever in the same boat. I have it right next to me and I love it, but everyone has their own tastes. Thanks for the input, I'll come to you guys next time it's coming up on NGD.

• Members

Blacktop JM - I think there are sellers on eBay that make a Tort guard for those, but the last I remember, they were PRICEY. ($60-$75) Also, maybe consider putting something like a GFS Surf 90 in the bridge. You could get something in the "neighborhood" of a JM pickup (brighter and twangy) for not much cash.

Squier Mascis JM - I have one of these and it's a pretty solid guitar. However, if you want something really traditional, you'll want to swap out the pickups. They're fairly dark and hot.

• Members

Will do! I'll post pictures when I'm done with it, I'll probably end up getting some sort of a single coil, but that won't be for a while. I did notice that the humbucker is a little muddy, but it almost sounds like a compressed tone, which I actually like. I've got it set up through a Mustang Floor, loop, and a Vox Vigilante, and it sounds effing awesome.

Archived