The middle pickup on a strat...

bierball

• Members

Do you use it? I didn't for the longest time. Only the bridge-, neck and occasionally the out-of-phase positions but never the middle pickup. But these days I have found it quite useful when I'm playing with a clean sound. It's a perfect middle ground from the bridge pickups sharp and trebly sound and slightly less thick and undistinct tones I get from the neck pickup. I find myself using the neck pickup less and less whenever a clean tone is needed. Is the middle pickup the most overlooked one on strat type guitars?

• Members

I heard an interview with Robin Trower as he described the signature strat and the pickups he chose.

When talking about the bridge p up he said they told me this was a good one so I put it in , I never use it anyway I'm always on the neck ,the middle or a combination of the two

I found the interview

• Members

bierball wrote:

the out-of-phase positions

I wish people would learn what out-of-phase is.

There is no out-of-phase pickup wiring option on factory Strats. Period. The only Fenders that I know of that came from the factory with the ability to do out-of-phase are the old DuoSonics that had two three-position pickup switches.

• Members

lz4005 wrote:

bierball wrote:

the out-of-phase positions

I wish people would learn what out-of-phase is.

There is no out-of-phase pickup wiring option on factory Strats. Period. The only Fenders that I know of that came from the factory with the ability to do out-of-phase are the old DuoSonics that had two three-position pickup switches.

Mustangs.

• Members

I mostly use it for quack only, because I gravitate toward the extremes in tones - subtlety is not my forte!

But I do appreciate pos 3 when searching for nicely balanced clean tones, and when others who really know what they're doing - like Clapton, Hendrix, and Gilmour - use it to amazing effect.

• Members

I use it sometimes, but the bridge pickup gets most of my love.

One time I switched the neck and middle pickups without rewiring the guitar. Unscrew them and swap them in the pickguard if the wires are long enough. Leads to some interesting tones.

bierball wrote:

Do you use it? I didn't for the longest time. Only the bridge-, neck and occasionally the out-of-phase positions but never the middle pickup. But these days I have found it quite useful when I'm playing with a clean sound. It's a perfect middle ground from the bridge pickups sharp and trebly sound and slightly less thick and undistinct tones I get from the neck pickup. I find myself using the neck pickup less and less whenever a clean tone is needed. Is the middle pickup the most overlooked one on strat type guitars?

You are correct!!

• Members

I'm all about using it for clean tones, but it's neck for bridge when I step on the fuzz. I've got lace sensor blue/silver/red in my strat. The silver in the middle just has a little bit more definition than the neck, so it's almost like a boost when doing clean lines.

Archived