X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The middle pickup on a strat...

Do you use it? I didn't for the longest time. Only the bridge-, neck and occasionally the out-of-phase positions but never the middle pickup. But these days I have found it quite useful when I'm playing with a clean sound. It's a perfect middle ground from the bridge pickups sharp and trebly sound and slightly less thick and undistinct tones I get from the neck pickup. I find myself using the neck pickup less and less whenever a clean tone is needed. Is the middle pickup the most overlooked one on strat type guitars?

<div class="signaturecontainer">Dont believe in anything, that way everything is possible.</div>

I like my middle pickup. Middle or bridge/middle 80%

Comment

Sure, I use it.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• gardo
        gardo commented
        Editing a comment

I heard an interview with Robin Trower as he described the signature strat and the pickups he chose.

When talking about the bridge p up he said they told me this was a good one so I put it in , I never use it anyway I'm always on the neck ,the middle or a combination of the two

I found the interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tszq32jNRHQ

bierball wrote:

the out-of-phase positions

I wish people would learn what out-of-phase is.

There is no out-of-phase pickup wiring option on factory Strats. Period. The only Fenders that I know of that came from the factory with the ability to do out-of-phase are the old DuoSonics that had two three-position pickup switches.

Comment

• Danhedonia
        Danhedonia commented
        Editing a comment

lz4005 wrote:

bierball wrote:

the out-of-phase positions

I wish people would learn what out-of-phase is.

There is no out-of-phase pickup wiring option on factory Strats. Period. The only Fenders that I know of that came from the factory with the ability to do out-of-phase are the old DuoSonics that had two three-position pickup switches.

Mustangs.

There's this guy I know who uses the middle pickup a bit.  Last names Clapton.  Eric, I think.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Must...buy...guitars. Will strong....body weak!</div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Take your wands out, both of you.&quot; -- Hermione Granger</div>

Comment

• DeepEnd
        DeepEnd commented
        Editing a comment

Glad to hear from you guys. I'm relatively new to electrics and I have a Strat copy. I'd been under the impression I should avoid the middle pickup. Now I can use it without guilt.

I use it all the time...I've always been surprised at how many people just ignore it unless they want quack.  

<div class="signaturecontainer">I'm Brian of Nazareth</div>

Comment

It's the all-or-nothing mentality, I guess.

I like the middle pickup for rhythm playing, especially if you need to play strummy stuff and sit in there with the bass player.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• brandass
          brandass commented
          Editing a comment

I mostly use it for quack only, because I gravitate toward the extremes in tones - subtlety is not my forte!

But I do appreciate pos 3 when searching for nicely balanced clean tones, and when others who really know what they're doing - like Clapton, Hendrix, and Gilmour - use it to amazing effect.

I'm probably on the middle 80-90% of the time, 2 or 4 when I bring da funk.  I hate the sound of a strat neck pickup.

Add Jerry Garcia to the list of guys who lived on the middle pickup, first playing strats and then on his custom guitars.

Comment

I use it sometimes, but the bridge pickup gets most of my love.

One time I switched the neck and middle pickups without rewiring the guitar. Unscrew them and swap them in the pickguard if the wires are long enough. Leads to some interesting tones.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">musica delenit bestiam feram</div>

Comment

• Imthere
            Imthere commented
            Editing a comment

its the best one

• BlackHatHunter
            BlackHatHunter commented
            Editing a comment

INteresting experiment. Could you expand on what different sonic palette you were able to obtain?

• Davo17
            Davo17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Middle=Jangle

bierball wrote:

Do you use it? I didn't for the longest time. Only the bridge-, neck and occasionally the out-of-phase positions but never the middle pickup. But these days I have found it quite useful when I'm playing with a clean sound. It's a perfect middle ground from the bridge pickups sharp and trebly sound and slightly less thick and undistinct tones I get from the neck pickup. I find myself using the neck pickup less and less whenever a clean tone is needed. Is the middle pickup the most overlooked one on strat type guitars?

You are correct!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          "If you play guitar, you are a friend."

"Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country."

Comment

• Jan Deal
            Jan Deal commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm all about using it for clean tones, but it's neck for bridge when I step on the fuzz. I've got lace sensor blue/silver/red in my strat. The silver in the middle just has a little bit more definition than the neck, so it's almost like a boost when doing clean lines.
        Working...
        X