Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The middle pickup on a strat...

Do you use it? I didn't for the longest time. Only the bridge-, neck and occasionally the out-of-phase positions but never the middle pickup. But these days I have found it quite useful when I'm playing with a clean sound. It's a perfect middle ground from the bridge pickups sharp and trebly sound and slightly less thick and undistinct tones I get from the neck pickup. I find myself using the neck pickup less and less whenever a clean tone is needed. Is the middle pickup the most overlooked one on strat type guitars?

Dont believe in anything, that way everything is possible.

I like my middle pickup. Middle or bridge/middle 80%

Comment

Sure, I use it.
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• gardo
        gardo commented
        Editing a comment

I heard an interview with Robin Trower as he described the signature strat and the pickups he chose.

When talking about the bridge p up he said they told me this was a good one so I put it in , I never use it anyway I'm always on the neck ,the middle or a combination of the two

I found the interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tszq32jNRHQ

bierball wrote:

the out-of-phase positions

I wish people would learn what out-of-phase is.

There is no out-of-phase pickup wiring option on factory Strats. Period. The only Fenders that I know of that came from the factory with the ability to do out-of-phase are the old DuoSonics that had two three-position pickup switches.

Comment

• Danhedonia
        Danhedonia commented
        Editing a comment

lz4005 wrote:

bierball wrote:

the out-of-phase positions

I wish people would learn what out-of-phase is.

There is no out-of-phase pickup wiring option on factory Strats. Period. The only Fenders that I know of that came from the factory with the ability to do out-of-phase are the old DuoSonics that had two three-position pickup switches.

Mustangs.

There's this guy I know who uses the middle pickup a bit.  Last names Clapton.  Eric, I think.

Must...buy...guitars. Will strong....body weak!"Take your wands out, both of you." -- Hermione Granger

Comment

• DeepEnd
        DeepEnd commented
        Editing a comment

Glad to hear from you guys. I'm relatively new to electrics and I have a Strat copy. I'd been under the impression I should avoid the middle pickup. Now I can use it without guilt.

I use it all the time...I've always been surprised at how many people just ignore it unless they want quack.  

I'm Brian of Nazareth

Comment

It's the all-or-nothing mentality, I guess.

I like the middle pickup for rhythm playing, especially if you need to play strummy stuff and sit in there with the bass player.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• brandass
          brandass commented
          Editing a comment

I mostly use it for quack only, because I gravitate toward the extremes in tones - subtlety is not my forte!

But I do appreciate pos 3 when searching for nicely balanced clean tones, and when others who really know what they're doing - like Clapton, Hendrix, and Gilmour - use it to amazing effect.

I'm probably on the middle 80-90% of the time, 2 or 4 when I bring da funk.  I hate the sound of a strat neck pickup.

Add Jerry Garcia to the list of guys who lived on the middle pickup, first playing strats and then on his custom guitars.

Comment

I use it sometimes, but the bridge pickup gets most of my love.

One time I switched the neck and middle pickups without rewiring the guitar. Unscrew them and swap them in the pickguard if the wires are long enough. Leads to some interesting tones.
          musica delenit bestiam feram

Comment

• Imthere
            Imthere commented
            Editing a comment

its the best one

• BlackHatHunter
            BlackHatHunter commented
            Editing a comment

INteresting experiment. Could you expand on what different sonic palette you were able to obtain?

• Davo17
            Davo17 commented
            Editing a comment
            Middle=Jangle

bierball wrote:

Do you use it? I didn't for the longest time. Only the bridge-, neck and occasionally the out-of-phase positions but never the middle pickup. But these days I have found it quite useful when I'm playing with a clean sound. It's a perfect middle ground from the bridge pickups sharp and trebly sound and slightly less thick and undistinct tones I get from the neck pickup. I find myself using the neck pickup less and less whenever a clean tone is needed. Is the middle pickup the most overlooked one on strat type guitars?

You are correct!!

Campbell UK-1
          http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
          https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

• Jan Deal
            Jan Deal commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm all about using it for clean tones, but it's neck for bridge when I step on the fuzz. I've got lace sensor blue/silver/red in my strat. The silver in the middle just has a little bit more definition than the neck, so it's almost like a boost when doing clean lines.

Working...
        X