So... do you like 1991 to 2005 MIM strats better....or 2006 to present?

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Alot of novice Fender guys never knew (or cared) that in 2006, the MIM Standard strat got revamped.

In 2006....

The Poplar Body became Alder.

The small vintage frets became medium jumbo

The tremolo block got a lot bigger

The hardware is said to have gotten better.

But some players say the pickups on the old ones were better.....

And some people love vintage size frets....

So, what do you think?

Older or New MIM.....which do you prefer?

• Members

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

Alot of novice Fender guys never knew (or cared) that in 2006, the MIM Standard strat got revamped.

In 2006....

The Poplar Body became Alder.

The small vintage frets became medium jumbo

The tremolo block got a lot bigger

The hardware is said to have gotten better.

But some players say the pickups on the old ones were better.....

And some people love vintage size frets....

So, what do you think?

Older or New MIM.....which do you prefer?

Not true.  I have two MIMs from the 90s, one Poplar and one Alder.  Lots of pre-2006 Alder MIMs out there I believe.  Sorry not picking on you, common misconception I think.

I like the older ones as you probably already know.  For one thing I much prefer the vintage frets for another mine have two piece bodies, the newer Standards often sport six or seven piece bodies. 

• Members

Mine is a 99/00 natural in ash. Northern I assume, its pretty heavy. Rosewood board. Love the neck on it.

I bought it used in a shop around about 2005. I compared it to quite a few new MIMs that day, all painted and I assume poplar. I prefered the tone of the older ash one.

Pickups are decent enough, Ive never had the inclination to mod it.

strat

• Members

I guess it mainly comes down to if some one likes vintage frets (up to 2005) vs. medium jumbos. 2006-to present).

Generally.... Players who also like Gibsons, tend to lean towards vintage frets..... fans of pointy shredder guitars will usually prefer the medium jumbos.

• Members

The pickups in some from those years were cheap ceramic jobs, just like Squiers. Very dull, muddy and uninspiring sounding. A couple of local lads bought them and found it hard to get a decent usable clean tone, although they were OK with gain on.

Other than that, they're fine guitars generally. We've a couple here, one poplar, one probably alder, with different pickups and hardware. The alder one is warm and smooth with a slightly fatter neck, the poplar one snappy and bright with a slim neck and weighs about 6 1/2lb. Both nice in their own way.

• Members

I have a '94 and I like it. It is my oldest guitar. I bought it brand new and about 5 years ago I replaced all of the electronics and swapped the pickups with Fender SCN's. I replaced the tuners with grovers and it really like the guitar. It is by far the easiest playing guitar I have. You barely have to put your fingers on the strings to fret a note. I only wish it wasn't a 25.5" scale. I have small hands.

• Members

One of the most consistently amusing phenomenon in the instrument world is the desire for distinction.

Whenever a change is made, there will always be a group of vocal owners who insist the 'old ones are better', 9 times in 10 they're just making an emotional defense of what they already own and it sucks when your **** gets outmoded by newer, better gear, but perhaps 1 time in 10, the old stuff actually is better.

"Pre CBS" was based on a lot of horse{censored} and mythology- plenty of Pre CBS instruments were considerably WORSE than stuff made after 65- up until the mid 70s when the quality levels really did take a huge nosedive and it became a simplifying mantra. Same thing with Gibson and Norlin, etc.

Were "Dan Smith Era" Fenders better, or is that just another bull{censored} upsell flogged by any and every **** who happens to own- and is trying to sell- an 83 Strat?

I guess Fenders have been made in Mexico long enough now that we try to distinguish them, too.

Sometimes its true. The old Shop Vacs were WAY better than the new ones. Old JC-120's were WAY better than the Chinese ones. Uusually, though, you'll find most people advancing the cause of Model X being made better (X) years ago is because they happen to own a Model X made in (X) and, as Heinlien once said (paraphrase), "Man is a rationalizing creature, not a rational creature..."

• 7 years later...

Archived