Epiphone ES339 evaluation from long time Gibson/PRS snob

VagueSubscription

• Members

Fine guitar, got mine with case for $410!

I certainly didn't need a new guitar, but for some reason, wanted to try out something recent from China.

So many people say they want to swap out this and that for something made in America. What they are really saying is they feel guilty for spending 1/8 of what Gibson would charge for the analogous model.

Listen to the damn guitar please! Especially after changing the strings.....

All mine needed was new strings and an ever so slight tightening of the truss rod, about 1/8 turn.

Also, Gibson usually charges more just for a natural model than the entire cost of an Epiphone. What can I say, I love natural blondes.

Tried the 339 thru an Ethos and Marshall SL5, heavenly tone for so little dough. Also works great with Boogies and Fenders.

Whichever factory Epiphone contracted to make the ES339 series, congrats on a well made guitar for an insanely cheap price. What a wonderfully soulful and oh so comfortable guitar to play.

• Members

I bought the Gibson before they made the Epis. After the Epis came out, I considered (I guess I'm still considering) getting one as a backup.

I agree that these newer Epis come with better pickups. It's why no one bragged that their Epiphones were MIK back in the 90s - most of the pickups were meh.

• Members

VagueSubscription wrote:

Whichever factory Epiphone contracted to make the ES339 series, congrats on a well made guitar for an insanely cheap price. What a wonderfully soulful and oh so comfortable guitar to play.

There are some ridiculous guitars coming out of Asia these days.

Ever tried an Eastman?

People who believe that American factories have proprietary, magical powers that cannot be duplicated anywhere else are pretty effing delusional; a classic example of how a huge group of people can be totally incorrect in their thinking. Brand value is all about ego and perception, there is no accounting for that. The actual mechanical capabilities of the ultimate product, though, are a different story. There IS accounting for that and when the price ratio is 8-1 for differences that are 'indemonstrably perceptive' in nature,  its usually a classic symptom of a standard human intellectual failing that's been profitably exploited by various incarnations of 'Snake Oil' that have been sold since mankind began.

Naturally, those who profess their belief in instrument-angels have an emotional (and financial) investment in their beliefs. They have a standard book; that they have rarefied, magical ears and anyone else who doesn't hear what they hear is just a tin-earred Philistine, or that anyone who doesn't purchase such brands is obviously just 'too poor to afford the good stuff'. This is what you will hear from brand loyalists, 100% of the time.

Equally consistent is their abject unwillngless to bet hard money on their 'beliefs' with valid controls in place, across a range of sound samples that statistically precludes successful guesswork. They will either challenge the concept of science itself and say that it doesn't apply to 'guitar tone' or they will slink away, mumbling to themselves about how anyone who doesn't buy Brand X is just too poor to afford it and that they can hear the magic and that's all that matters...

• Members

VagueSubscription wrote:

Gibson doesn

• Members

VagueSubscription wrote:

Fine guitar, got mine with case for $410!

I certainly didn't need a new guitar, but for some reason, wanted to try out something recent from China.

So many people say they want to swap out this and that for something made in America. What they are really saying is they feel guilty for spending 1/8 of what Gibson would charge for the analogous model.

Listen to the damn guitar please! Especially after changing the strings.....

All mine needed was new strings and an ever so slight tightening of the truss rod, about 1/8 turn.

Also, Gibson usually charges more just for a natural model than the entire cost of an Epiphone. What can I say, I love natural blondes.

Tried the 339 thru an Ethos and Marshall SL5, heavenly tone for so little dough. Also works great with Boogies and Fenders.

Currently, all Epiphones come out of the 'Gibson' QingDao plant in China. Epiphone is the only thing made there., very modern plant.

• Members

DaleH wrote:

Currently, all Epiphones come out of the 'Gibson' QingDao plant in China. Epiphone is the only thing made there., very modern plant.

So the sign on the Chinese plant says "Gibson", but it makes Epiphones, because only guitars made in the USA can have "Gibson" on the headstock?

At any rate, if they made my ES339, they did a good job. It's a very enjoyable instrument to play, even compared  to my many American made guitars.

Archived