Went to the Dark Side...bought a Mac...

steve_man

• Members

Love Apple products...have 3 iPhones, an iPad, Apple TV, and my daughters have an old iMac that they use for homework.  However, I had decided to try and save some money by buying a Windows 8 PC...and was that ever a mistake!  After 6 months, I couldn't take it anymore.  Bought a Macbook Pro...and just...wow...  SO much better.  It just...works.

Now to play around with some Garage Band...:)

• Members

I switched 6-7 years ago when I got a chance to buy a Mac Pro (tower) super cheap at a charity auction.  It's made everything music-related 100x easier because everything "just works."  I used to have to make sure I turned on the keyboard, midi interface & pc in just the right order, or it wouldn't get recognized.  Then every system update would break something.  I do use PCs every day at work, so I have  no problems going back and forth, but for home & studio use I've been really happy.

If you miss games, Steam.com, GOG.com and the Apple App Store will keep you somewhat covered (or use a dual-boot solution).

• Members

i've used a macbook pro for years... i still run logic 8... it never misses a beat

i'm going to need a more powerful computer within the next year or so, as the way i go about things now is very taxing on cpu... i'll be getting a 12 core mac pro

i use a pc for just browsing the net, but for my studio, i'm apple all the way

• Members

I've used both and prefer a Windows PC.  I wonder how many Mac users have used a truly powerful Windows PC; not saying they haven't just that most people's experience with WinPCs seems to be bargain-basement stuff.

Mine:

Core i5 2500k 4.2 GHz

Radeon 7970 1125/6000

8Gb DDR3 1866

256Gb OCZ Vertex 4 (OS drive)

256Gb Samsung 840 Pro (fast access drive)

640Gb WD Scorpio Black HDD (slow access, enclosed and suspended)

Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card

27" Korean IPS (2560x 1440 Crossover)

Windows 8 Pro x86_64

Even with custom water cooling it's faster, quieter and less expensive than the single-chip Mac Pro offered at the time I built it.  I couldn't be more happy.

That said, my work PC is a 4 year old Dell Core2 Duo laptop running Linux ;)

edit: Oh, my phone runs Windows Phone 8.  :o

• Members

I may be doing the big switch myself...I do have a fast pc, i5 intel quad core cpu tho no SSD drive just yet but I'm getting more crashes now than ever before with a new interface and sonar, with latest drivers and version....it would be a bummer to drop it because I've become pretty familiar with it and learning a new software sounds like lotsa work ...I'll hold out for a bit longer since I just invested in the full flagship version of the software not too long ago...

• Members

Though I mostly have paid plugins for my main DAW duties, (compression, saturation, reverb, synths, samplers), I love all the free and often somewhat experimental effects and instruments coming out. Until something drastically changes, I could never enjoy that as much on a Mac.

Current free plugins on KVR for

Windows 2446

Mac 646

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Windows 8 is so awesome it's already being repackaged, it's simply not an OS for a desktop PC thats had any significant thought gone into ot's integration with it's mobile counterpart. It's just about bearable with a touchscreen, like an MS Surface, but it is still atrocious and makes Vista, ME, 98 look pretty decent.

I support Windows systems for a living and we've already made the decision that we will only provide "best effort support" for W8 and will not be rolling it out as our campus OS, and that includes W8.X.

We're open minded about W9, but we find we can afford to skip and use our PC lifecycles ie 5 years as a significant part of our OS rollouts.

Broadly W7 was a fixed and sorted Windows Vista, and many developeres expect W9 to be a fixed and sorted Win8/8.1/RT

W7 is a great OS, probably the best since MS went GUI, but OSX works better for most folks as it evolves in a friendlier way. MS provides me with a living, but when I'm at home I use a MacBook with no MS products at all on for my writing, and I'm cool with whatever big cat they want to ambush me with next, as they just keep getting better and better and the fact thay they put so much effort into the foundations of the OS and the apps for the mobile devices, doesn't leave them as sucker punchable as Linux and Android stuff either, so they win all round. All Apple need to do is look at the Gibson model and make a few more accessible desktops and they'll push the market share hard

• Members

Agreed...as much as everyone seems to be talking about the "demise" of Apple, I just don't see it.  OSX is by far the best OS out there, IMO.  Win 7 was fine, but this new attrocity called Win 8 has seriously hurt the PC market.  Plus, I like the fact that my files sync across all my devices...phone, laptop, and ipad...seamlessly.  Yes, they're more expensive, but having gear that actually works like it's supposed to is worth it to me.  Can't say that for the Android/Windows stuff I've owned.

Archived