60th Anniversary Strat (Mexican) ... any good?

Snowcow

• Members

What a coincidence! I was just browsing this strat tonight. Im leaning a little more towards the standard MIM strat though, because seemingly the only upgrade this strat has is better pickups and the special 60th anniversary logo. For the extra $100 I can buy my own pickups and I can also pick my own color. If anyone who owns one can chime in, that would be great.

• Members

I have one. There are other differences between it and the MIM Standard other than the pickups and color and 60th stuff. If you're talking about the '06 MIM Standard, which has medium jumbo frets where as the 60th Anniversary has Vintage style frets. The 60th Anniversary's neck is more tinted that the MIM Standard. I like the 60th Anniversary a lot, the pickups are hot, and the neck is very nice. Just my 2 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by bigmac1417

I have one. There are other differences between it and the MIM Standard other than the pickups and color and 60th stuff. If you're talking about the '06 MIM Standard, which has medium jumbo frets where as the 60th Anniversary has Vintage style frets. The 60th Anniversary's neck is more tinted that the MIM Standard. I like the 60th Anniversary a lot, the pickups are hot, and the neck is very nice. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your 2 cents :)

I've seen one recently and I think I may go back and buy it :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Snowcow

Any one got one? The Mexican model?

In my experience, pretty much all Mexi Strats play like Mexi Strats, American Strats play like American Strats, etc. regardless of special edition status, like Anniversary.

My wording sounds FOBAZN I'm so tired. :(

• Members

Originally posted by Archdemon

In my experience, pretty much all Mexi Strats play like Mexi Strats, American Strats play like American Strats, etc. regardless of special edition status, like Anniversary.

My wording sounds FOBAZN I'm so tired.
:(

Not sure what you mean by your comments, but if you're implying that the USA models are superior to the Mexican ones, I'd have to disagree. I've played hundreds of strats and some of the best have been the cheaper MIM and MIJ models. The USA ones are very good (usually), but not always superior. Strats are funny beasts, and their quality varies considerably, regardless of their place of manufacture.

• Members

Originally posted by Snowcow

Not sure what you mean by your comments, but if you're implying that the USA models are superior to the Mexican ones, I'd have to disagree. I've played hundreds of strats and some of the best have been the cheaper MIM and MIJ models. The USA ones are very good (usually), but not always superior. Strats are funny beasts, and their quality varies considerably, regardless of their place of manufacture.

No, I'm not comparing American to MIM, I'm just saying MIM's play like MIM's, regardless of whether or not they're SE.

• Members

I've played the MIM 60th quite a few times. Tex Mex pickups sound great in it. Really nice guitar, and I like the color. It also has a pretty chunky neck that fills the hand really nicely. They did go with the Pings on the tuners and bridge though.

I would look at the Jimmie Vaughan Strat if you like that vintage vibe. Has the same Tex Mex pickups but with a slightly overwound bridge pickup that rocks. A really nice chucky soft V neck as well. Also has all US parts which is a big bonus. Probably a few bucks more, but well worth it.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I'm new to guitar, but i'v played Bass for over 20 years... yeah, i just now decided to try a guitar - LoL

... so i go on Craigslist to find a decent MiM Strat...

Found one ! ... 5 miles down the track. a 60th Aniversary issue, Dark Blue, ... bought it for $300... is that a good price to pay for one ?? .... anyway....it looks great, and sounded like what i'd expect from a guitar, as a Neophyte.

Then i bought a New Baja Telecaster (Mexican, also)... and i IMMEDIATELLY noticed that my Mexican 60th Aniv Strat was in serious need of need of upgrade if it were to compete with the new Baja Telecaster.

The Strats pick-ups were DEAD compared to the Baja Tele ... as in - NO COMPARISON ! LoL

I ordered for the (cool Dark Blue) Mexi-Strat This:

• Members

Not to be miser, here, but i should add something about the 60th Aniverasy Stat that i forgot to mention...

It does have a cool truss rod adjuster at the headstock, rather than that stupid looking brown stain like most Strats have.

I see the Blackmore Strat has a Bullet Truss rod adjuster at the headstock... kOoL

• Members

You should post a HGD(new guitar day)  thread with pictures.  This poat is from 06.

Brown stain at the truss rod. Are you talking about the rosswood insert?  70s strats have a bullet truss rod and big headstocks.

• Members

Jammin' Jerry wrote:

... one last thing ... This 60th Aniversary Strat was said to have better pick-Ups than what ?? lol ... a 1976 Harmony ? LoL ... The Pick-Ups SUCK in it !

It sure feels & looks nice though. My upgrades (Listed Above) should make it a REAL guitar.

Looks like you're replaced Tex Mex pickups with Tex Mex pickups, that's awesome, well done!

• Members

Hi, Jammin Jerry,

Your 60th Anniversary Strat came with regular MIM standard pickups. Just about every Strat and Tele got a little metal 60th Anniversary button on the back of the headstock that year.

The MIM 60th Anniversary Commemorative Strat was silver with a maple board, and it came with Tex-Mex pickups. Different model than yours, since the Commemorative didn't come in any other colors. You got a Standard (fine guitar on its own). So don't think that the pickup change is useless, because they are different pickups.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Hi, Jammin Jerry,

Your 60th Anniversary Strat came with regular MIM standard pickups. Just about every Strat and Tele got a little metal 60th Anniversary button on the back of the headstock that year.

The MIM 60th Anniversary Commemorative Strat was silver with a maple board, and it came with Tex-Mex pickups. Different model than yours, since the Commemorative didn't come in any other colors. You got a Standard (fine guitar on its own). So don't think that the pickup change is useless, because they are different pickups.

The color is actually Blizzard Pearl. It is more of a bronze but photographs as silver. The pickguard and other plastics are parchment and the neck is a tinted maple with high gloss finish. They had a special  neck plate engraved with the 60th anniversay logo. They are a cut above Standard MIMs of the same year (2006) and have Tex-Mex pickups. They also came with a black gig bag with the 60th anniversary logo. 

The guy who posted earlier that he bought  bought a blue one didn't get a 60th Anniversary Strat, he got a 2006 MIM Standard. The 60th Anniversary model only came in Blizzard Pearl.

All the standard 2006's had the 60th anniversary badge on the back of the headstock and everyone tries to pass them off as 60th Anniversary models.

• Members

Yes, Blizzard Pearl is the exact model. I thought it was silver? Anyway, I never saw the MIM Commemorative im person. I have the USA Commemorative, which was a sunburst with a little cubic zirconia in the headstock for the "diamond anniversary" as well as the neck plate, etc.

• Members

Jammin' Jerry wrote:

... one last thing ... This 60th Aniversary Strat was said to have better pick-Ups than what ?? lol ... a 1976 Harmony ? LoL ... The Pick-Ups SUCK in it !

It sure feels & looks nice though. My upgrades (Listed Above) should make it a REAL guitar.

That's because you bought a 2006 MIM Standard with ceramic pickups. Every 2006 MIM had the 60th Anniversary button on the back and every guy selling a 2006 claims it is an Anniversary Model strat. Only the Blizzard pearl 60th Anniversary commemorative model has the Tex Mex pickups along with a beefier neck, small headstock, vintage frets, etc. The 60th anniversary model has a ballsy strat tone, the standard sounds tinny by comparison.

Archived