Suier Surfcaster-Anyone try it yet?

Hard Truth

• Members

I have one. Nicest playing strat I have owned. Made my american sreies feel like a dead turd.

I changed the pickup springs to rubber tube, it stoped the pickups from rattling on the guard. I also dropped a high mass MIM trem in it. Necks are a little wider at the nut that CV strats. Just a great little guitaar.

Pickups sound like low output vintage strat pickups smooth no icepicky here, not thin dano or jangly.

Picture012.jpg

• Members

I've drooled over those (on the web) already a couple times.

Just when I thought it was out of my mind, they pull me back in.

godfather_part_3.jpg

I'd like to have one kicking around fo sho. Great looking guitars and now, I'm hearing from owners that they sound good too! :mad:

• Members

Yep, I own a Squire Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster (Sonic Blue). It's a great Strat and I am not much of a long scale guy.

It stays in tune well and has great fit and finish. Plus the pickups have that lovely lower output twang. However they are perhaps just a tiny bit subdued in the upper frequency ranges but that does make them easy to manage and easy to EQ.

Sadly it does not quack as much as my MIJ Fender '68 reissue in switch positions 2 and 4.

My MIJ Fender '68 reissue came with lower output older-style staggered pole piece pickups that are brasher sounding that my Squire Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster's lipstick tube pickups.

• Members

I love my Ultra II. I know that some consider the Epiphone Alnico Classic humbucker pickups to be muddy and bland but I think they sound great as long as you want a lower output humbucker with a balanced warm tone.

The NanoMAG pickup is a real hoot but only if you give it its own full range acoustic guitar amp or PA. The body shape is superior to a conventional Les Paul and the chambering makes it much more playable longer term due to deceased weight.

The Ultra III has some very interesting updates compared to my Ultra II, and I would buy the Ultra III in a heartbeat if I did not already own the Ultra II!

Please let me know what you think of it when you get it (or maybe you better not or I might be too tempted to sell mine and buy a III).

• Members

Please let me know what you think of it when you get it (or maybe you better not or I might be too tempted to sell mine and buy a III).

Will do. I thought possibly you had gotten a II. I remember when they were blowing them out at the end of the model run and I was sooo tempted to get the II myself at that time. I think the most interesting update is the ProBucker pickups (Epi's take on the BB 2 & 4). I have a suspicion I might be able to live with those. I'm a big Burstbucker fan, but really the II and III combo are my least favorite. I prefer the BB Pros but my fave is the BB 1 & 2. I'll be tempted to move the neck p'up to the bridge and buy a new BB 1 for the neck, but I'm hoping I'll just leave it as is. But indeed, I'm mostly buying it for the nanomag feature and the heavy chambered build. Thankx.

Sorry for hijacking.

Now back to your regularly scheduled channel.

• Members

I really want to try one. The only concern for me is that the neck might be too skinny.

In my pic the white strat beside the VM has a warmoth 59 roundback with 1 11/16th nut. I really like that neck but have no problem with the neck on my VM. The neck is not as skinny as the CV necks and the nut on mine is 22.5mm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just got my surf stratocaster.. It looks very nice in surf green. The bridge hardware feels/looks a bit cheap but functions OK.

I like it, but I wouldn't say its nicer than my Fenders. The pickups are very bright and could use more low end. I'll try adjusting the pickup heights for that. It has a very retroish sound that really stands out. I think it may be better for blues than surf/twang. Mine came with extra light strings which I don't like at all. It may sound different with more substantial strings. Its not as versatile as a good strat or tele, it can't passably get jazz or heavy rock tones.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

An update after a month of using it.

One of the pickup screws and a couple of the height adjustment screws on the bridge saddles have come loose just from using the guitar at home. I will probably change out the saddles and the vibrato plate behind them.

It plays well, looks cool and sounds good, but I would not describe it as versatile. This guitar can get you several cool tones, all of which sound attractively retro. Even with the pickup heights adjusted it does not have much low end. If you cut the treble you just get midrange. That is fine for many styles, but this is not the guitar for warm jazz tones or thick, full-bodied distortion.

• Members

There certainly is some good stuff.

Small things like conductive paint and star ground in body cavity. All done very nice and clean. Felt spacers under strap buttons.

Cream neck dots not just white. Fret work is easily as nice as my warmoth neck.

Has the same string spacing at the nut also.

I droped an MIM high mass bridge in mine and I have a switchcraft jack here if this one go's.

Picture043.jpg

Picture007.jpg

• 10 months later...

Archived