Fender MIM standard vs MIA standard in 2013 -- thoughts?

twotimingpete

• Members

I know we've had this discussion a lot over the years. Why not have it one more time?

I've owned and gone through so many different MIM standards since my GAS days began in earnest around the same time I started on this forum (2008). I've had three different MIM teles since 2008, and three different MIM strats since then as well.

I generally thought the 2008-2010 MIM standards were outstanding, and it was nice that back around that time they came with gig bags. The most recent MIMs I've gone through seemed to still be well made, but.. I don't know. Just lacked that extra sweetness that I felt came off of my slightly older MIMs. From the gig bagged golden era 2008-2010. This is highly unscientific, just my own impression.

Re: MIAs: They're starting to put somce cooler features into them (belly cut on the tele, bypass notch in tone pots, better pickups, etc).

So... let's do it one more time. 2013 strats and teles: MIM standard vs MIA standard. is there a real substantive difference in build, or is it just going to be the difference a few bells and whistles makes? thoughts?

• Members

Dr. Scottie C wrote:

Belly cuts on Telecasters should have been standard since 1952.

Why it wasn't? Beyond me.

Yeah, me too, it's the main reason I've generally steered away from teles til now.

Most of the MIA strats I've played have had slightly chunkier necks than the MIM strats and played and owned.  In most cases the MIA strats have had better fretwork as well.  Those are important differences to me.  The hardware, electronics, and pups can be priced in and easily swapped, but if I need to swap the neck I'm not going to bother with the MIM, I'd rather just get the MIA and be done with it.  Haven't done that though, instead assembled partscasters to taste - similar cost, fun, and usually a better fit for my needs and wants than a stock MIA.

• Members

Check out these MIA standard FSR colors on MF.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-fsr-american-standard-stratocaster-electric-guitar

(note the used shell pink one they have -- seems like a really great deal. if it was sonic blue instead of shell pink I'd be in trouble)

DV016_Jpg_Large_1368456536442_A.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_1368456536428_A.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_1368456536414_A.jpg

Gas, anyone? Sonic Blue is such a great color.

Archived