Size yourself up

wankdeplank

• Members

So are you more of a strummer or a wanker?

Strummer here, I had a tennis buddy over the other night and he said yeah I just want to learn to play guitar so I can sing and impress the girls and I said yeah, that's why I got into it and slowly realized I'd never really gone any further.:smiley-angry047:  I always thought the line from Sultans of Swing pretty much summed me up: "strictly rhythm he doesn't make it cry or sing".  I know a million songs (been known to take creative license with lyrics though) and can play a canned solo or two but just don't ask me to improvise.  I mean sure I can do it as long as you don't mind some cliche minor pentatonic meandering.  

Trying to improve my creative wankery (on guitar) and am finding fodder in these two books:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books-sheet-music-media/hal-leonard-soloing-strategies-for-guitar--book-cd?source=3WWRWXGP&kwid=productads-plaid%5e57305195827-sku%5eH63661000000000@ADL4MF-adType%5ePLA-device%5ec-adid%5e30425181267

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books-sheet-music-media/hal-leonard-surf-guitar-play-along-series-volume-23-book-with-cd?source=3WWRWXGP&kwid=productads-plaid%5e57304828387-sku%5e941625000000000@ADL4MF-adType%5ePLA-device%5ec-adid%5e30424998267

Good books and seeing some improvement in self-study.  Any other suggestions?

Your turn, and be honest, strummer or a wanker?

• Members

I can play lead and improvise but it rarely goes anywhere monumental.  Put it this way, it's not something I would personally listen it if it was on an album or something.  I'd consider myself to be intermediate on a whole, I have good timing and can sing decently. I'm probably a better singer than a guitar player. I don't take it too seriously, I like to jam with my mates and we take turns doing everything, regardless of who is better at what.  No egos, just how I like it.

• Members

Sounds like you and I are very much in the same boat Billy.  That's pretty much the way I would and have described my abilities - good timing, likes to sing, intermediate.  You're fortunate to have a group of guys, gals with similar abilities that you can play regularly with.  My situation is such that it seems I'm either basically giving a lesson (free) to a friend or else I'm taking turns calling tunes with some fella that seems to want to take my head off musically.  It just seems like it's so hard to find someone interested in reciprocal playing that's on my level.  Then there's the issues of musical tastes, logistics (travelling distances) and of course scheduling conflicts. 

• Members

I've got about 15,000 hours under my belt, so I can walk into most situations and cover lead, rhythm, acoustic, bass, and vocals in a bunch of genres. I'm not as good as I think I should be though, but I've always been a day job guy, so it's always going to come third for me behind my family and work.

• Members

I like soloing and jamming, but I'm probably a better rhythm player. I function pretty well as the only guitarist in a band, though. I will say that in the last couple years, my skills have waned due to lack of practice. Marriage and life in general, you know!

• Members

i'm a pretty bad jazz player. but i have lots of fun.

I had a sh*t day the other day and then went to a lesson in the evening. played Blue in Green with my teacher and instantly forgot how annoyed I was at everything else. it was great, that's why I play

• Members

halfwhole wrote:

i'm a pretty bad jazz player. but i have lots of fun.

I had a sh*t day the other day and then went to a lesson in the evening. played Blue in Green with my teacher and instantly forgot how annoyed I was at everything else. it was great, that's why I play

Ain't that the truth.  I don't get folks that say once my performance days are over so are my playing days.  Different strokes I guess but for me it's mostly a way to clear my mind and it sure as hell beats doing jig-saw puzzles.  I actually enjoy going through Mel Bay books and reading music I've never played before.

I reckon the best way to improve is to find a teacher... I found learning from books a but hit and miss.

I suppose it is but that $30 a week adds up and I've also had a difficult time finding an instructor that could challenge me or even wanted to.  Seems like most are just in it for the money.  I've got a friend that takes lessons religiously (with instructors I had and recommended) and he is still along way from catching up.  It really comes down to a matter of will I think - most of the instructors I've had are self-taught.

Nice honest responses, really enjoyed reading them and Scottie you cracked me up with that Barry White line.  Anyone else? 

Archived