anyone know anything about Cimar guitars?

Ed Phobes

• Members

All the info I have (from the blue book)

Cimar, Instruments built in japan during the 70's and 80's

Cimar produced good to medium quality guitars that featured several versions of classic american designs as well as some original and thinline designs.

Not much help, but its all I got.

• Members

holy cow! I have that same guitar. Mine is an 82 as far as I can tell from the serial #. All I know is that this particular model is called the Star. Other than being made in the Japanese Ibanez factory, I don't any other info. Her's mine

• Members

Ibanez distributed Cimar as kind of its own budget knockoff line, and were indeed made by any of the various factories they used at the time. The brand began in the mid-seventies, and apparently copied many US guitars including the Gibson Marauder and L6S complete with fake Bill Lawrence pups. In the '80s, even copies of Ibanez Roadstar IIs appeared.

I have only actually seen in person the same one here in this thread, and a budget superstrat type with pointy/droopy head and crappy tuners. The star was o.k., the other was poor, and I think may have actually been Korean. Though I have heard or read nothing to point towards MIK, this one just reeked of '80s Cort/Arbor/Lotus/Hondo guitars that were around a lot when I was a young'un.

• Members

my teenage daughter bought a NEW Cimar just last year (don't know when it was made, but it was not used - bought from a local music store).

it is identical to the Ibanez GRX40 (S-S-H, w/tremelo). it's her first guitar and she likes it. the fret ends were sharp and the tuners aren't great, but otherwise it's got a nice aggressive tone.

• Members

i play a Cimar, its the same shape as an Ibanez concert but was made at least 4 years earlier, every time i post a pic i get emails from argentina and spain, its a rare beast, it must weigh at least 12 pounds, it has a very large body probably larger that the ibanez concert, just smaller than a 335, its solid and sounds cool. it had GOTO pafs not gotoh as that are called now, the LS6 bridge and 24 fretts, the neck sits into the body right up to the 24th frett. its pre 1974 and has a funny looking H and the number 14 under the neck. it took alot of strength to get the neck off, it is very well made. has the ibanez made in japan neck plate. gibson looking neck head.

• Members

Hey ive got the same type guitar too, mine is also 82, i bought it for 60 bucks at a pawn store...its the same red with maple neck..but i added white strat knobs...to mine...when i got mine it didnt have knobs..hehe.....mine actually is pretty cool light plywood , and the maple neck is worn and beat to crap..giving that relic look....i put a super distortion in mine..rocking out little axe...plays actually very well.....

• 2 years later...
  • Members

hi guys

I'm sorry to bring this very old topic to the surface but I have a question for you guys.

I have the opportunity to get an old Cimar guitar for a few bucks. It's a strat copy, Japan made, with the 70s big headstock, it is kinda relic and looks cool.

Just wondering if it's worth working on, like buying some new tuners and some pickups maybe?

Thanks

• Members

no, it's not one of those hardtails and it doesn't look like that sunburst, because in the headstock it just says "Cimar" in black letters.

It is white (kinda creamy so probably like vintage white from Fender), white pickguard and maple board.

Thanks

In black? Hmm.. So far I've only seen them with a golden Cimar logo. The guy who owns the one I posted above added the "Stratocaster" part himself. It has an ash body and he replaced the tuners (which were crappy), installed a 5-way switch since it came with a 3-way and new pickups. The original ones were not RW/RP and microphonic. Apart from that he is very happy with his.

Cimar2.jpg

Another Cimar logo...

J81K9-J81K9Cimar30.jpg

And the one from my Astra...

cimar3.jpg

• 5 years later...

Archived