LTD Jeff Hanneman JH-200: worth buying for $430 / 350 Euros?

salves74

• Members

Hi all!

I've found a store in Europe (where i live) that has the JH-200, the new version with black hardware (The ESP Guitar Company | 2012 USA Website) for 350 Euros / $430. These are usually sold for 550 Euros / $670.

I play mainly 80's thrash metal (Anthrax's Among the Living era, Overkill, Metallica, Kreator, Forbidden, Heathen - that tight trash metal riffing) and the usual suspects for shredding and lead work (Paul Gilbert, John Pretucci, Steve Vai... The usual sweep/alternate picking style...)

I was primarly interested in a neck-thru guitar (the JH-600 would be awesome but way out of my price range), HH config with tremolo, but for this price the JH-200 (even if it's bolt-on) seems like a good deal... or not? What do you guys think of this model in terms of playability, sound, finish?

I know it's not a high end model, but is this a solid, worth considering guitar? Or should i save up a little more and get something better (like a LTD M-300 or a MH-350 or a Jackson SLX)? My budget is about 700 Euros / $855, but of course it would be better if i could spend less and still get a good guitar.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

I've never played one of those, so I can't comment on how the sound or feel. In general, signature models sell for more than non-signature models, with the net result being that you can usually get more guitar for your money buying a comparable model without the artist association. A LTD superstrat with EMGs should be pretty easy to find, so unless you want the Hanneman name or the wonky Kahler trem, I'd just get a regular model and not pay Hanneman a cut of your money.

• Members

I completely agree with you about the endorsement. I'm not very found of Hanneman's playing (although i like Slayer), but i actually like the guitar visually, not because Hanneman's sig model.

I wouldn't consider it if it was being sold by the regular 550 Euros / $670 price, but since the store has it new for 350 Euros / $430 it suddenly became more appealing...

• Members

I've never played one of those, so I can't comment on how the sound or feel. In general, signature models sell for more than non-signature models, with the net result being that you can usually get more guitar for your money buying a comparable model without the artist association. A LTD superstrat with EMGs should be pretty easy to find, so unless you want the Hanneman name or the wonky Kahler trem, I'd just get a regular model and not pay Hanneman a cut of your money.

I completely agree with you about the endorsement. I'm not very found of Hanneman's playing (although i like Slayer), but i actually like the guitar visually, not because Hanneman's sig model.

I wouldn't consider it if it was being sold by the regular 550 Euros / $670 price, but since the store has it new for 350 Euros / $430 it suddenly became more appealing...

• Members

Fisrt of all Jeff Hanneman kicks ass, he wrote most of their more memorable riffs. 2nd of all youd probably get more responses in the Amps forum as there is alot more players there that are into heavy music and LTDs.

Thanks for the tip! It's already in there! :)

• Members

I would try and find a used jh600 instead, much better guitar. I see them sell used for under $600, just not sure if you can get one shipped to Europe. I think the Kahler on the 400 is not very good, the 600 uses the hybrid which is a upgrade or the floyd on some. The quality on the 600 is very good, neck thru, emg's, better wood, etc. If you like the 400, go for it, your decision.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

2 of my guitars are the JH200 and JH600 so here goes.....

Been playing kahlered strats for decades and I originally went for the JH200 because of it's uncluttered face and the Kahler trem which didn't dissappoint. However, I was looking to optimise on sustain so I also bought the JH-600 which immediately showed some improvement on sustain as well as being slightly less heavy at the neck end. I use Roland GK3 pickups which installed seamlessley into both guitars (being black) which is another reason in preferring Kahlers as the geometry is consistent. However, the Kahlers on both guitars was not entirely stable so I repleced the JH200 with a unit directly from the factory which has been good ever since; and the JH600 trem was replaced with a hybrid trem with PTFE coated glass rollers - which stick. Strangely though, because of the ptfe coating, the strings slide smoothly so it is a tad more stable than the unit on the JH200 ! However, it is likely these issues pale into insignifacance with respect to the expansion coeffients of the materials used on both necks and the through body neck on the 600. 

I do find the feel of the painted JH600 neck is transparent compared to the unpainted JH200 which now well worn in, feels more soul.

The rake of the JH600 is a little less than to JH200 so if you're using light strings, the top E can slip off the roller in a moment of exhuberation.

I do prefer the feeling of the JH600 ebony fingerboard, it feels a little more solid and direct than the 200's rosewood fingerboard.

Tonally, both are great but I'm not so bothered about that given the Roland gear I use, VG99 & GR55, so sustain, accuracy and no dead spots is what I'm after.

My biggest grumble is with the JH600. An anomoly must have occurred at the fretwire department or something because the frets on the JH600 wear down so quickly. In just 3 years, it's nearly ready for its 2nd levelling. The action on both guitars is similar - low, so level frets is essential with good truss rod adjustment. The JH200 has not shown any signs of wear even if it has been played considerably more. (same strings BTW). 

Summary - JH200 is great workhorse and JH600 is sunday best.

Archived