What is your biggest guitar mistake?

Northstar

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bought a Jackson dinky guitar after i graduated and havent played it in a long time. I really like the pick ups but for the guitar its self dont care much for it. The main problem of it is the FR trem just not a big fan. I am starting to think it was a waste. I wish I would have bought a really nice Les Paul like I have now and a nice amp.

• Members

I had a Doh! back in 87 when I sold my amazing 1985 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. And of all thing too fund the purchase of a new 87 Kramer Barretta.

I had too kick in another $200 on top of the Gibby btw.

Both are gone one costs about $4000 too replace and the other can be had for under $700 when they surface.

Next dumb thing was amp related. Traded a non working(easy fix) Marshall Major head for a SS Crate head and 2 4x12 cabs in the 80's as well.

I blame the hairspray.

• Members

Not yet starting my own band. I play out, but I really want a project that's just mine.

Anything bought with the justification of "just in case," as in, "just in case I need to play surf/jazz/metal." My equipment and I are already more than capable of fitting into most genres just fine, and buying gear on the off-chance that I'll use it one day is just vain.

Thinking for too long that guitars really sound significantly different from one another, due to any number of truly minor factors, and are limited as such. They're just wood, magnets and strings.

Not learning to read music early on. Ultimate :facepalm:

Going through a pedal-geek phase. It really just kept me from developing as a guitarist.

• Members

I get caught up "chasing tone", it's a big mistake. I spend a lot more time modding, tweaking, changing pickup configurations, etc. than I do actually playing. It's all fun and exciting for awhile, but sooner or later I realized just how much time & money I've wasted dinking around while my recording gear gathers dust and my friends talk about their last show.

• Members

I get caught up "chasing tone", it's a big mistake. I spend a lot more time modding, tweaking, changing pickup configurations, etc. than I do actually playing. It's all fun and exciting for awhile, but sooner or later I realized just how much time & money I've wasted dinking around while my recording gear gathers dust and my friends talk about their last show.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I haven't recorded anything new in a long long time. Probably over a year. Weird thing is I still GAS for recording gear but what's the point if I don't use what I have.

• Members

Wasting years and dollars on an instructor who was hung up on teaching with boring old method books full of dumbed-down folk, classical, and jazz. I was always bored with what I learned but never got off my butt and focused on other stuff. I could have spent the cost of one month of his lessons on Metal Method and used all the rest to pay for more guitars. Instead I was lazy and just stopped playing for ten years. That was pretty pathetic on my part.

• Members

getting a guitar with a licenced floyd rose as my 2nd guitar (ie not a beginners guitar like my first)

great guitar, sounds awesome, looks cool. (its an explorer). but the licenced floyd is really really stuffed now. its unplayable at the moment.

I didnt know that there were any differences between floyds... i thought if it had "a" floyd rose it was going to be awesome.

• Members

Biggest mistake(s) was accumulating too much gear at different periods.

The upside-downside of this is that I was able to collect a lot of great old guitars before "old guitar" meant "vintage collector's item."

Essentially, I had a bunch of stuff--including old pre-CBS Fender amps, Strats, Teles, P-basses, J-basses, as well as cool old analog pedals, etc., etc. that I sold in the late 1990s not long before the Internet became ubiquitous, eBay came on the scene and the collector/vintage market really exploded.

If I had held onto that stuff, I could have sold it for ten times what I actually sold it for.

However, the only stuff I got rid of that I regret no longer having is a '73 Tele and an 80s Tokai P-bass. Oh, and a '65 Vibro-Champ.

Archived