RIP Stevie Ray

gdsmithtx

• Members

23 years ago today, the music world lost one of its all-time greatest performers, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

He entertained and inspired millions the world over with his unique blend of stunning electric fire and haunting grace.  He single-handedly sparked a revival of interest in the blues, which had been at its nadir in the aftermath of punk and new wave.  Even through the hair metal and grunge years -- which some celebrate and some decry -- this blues revival undercurrent held steady and paved the way for many blues-rock artists to emerge, and for other established artists to thrive.

Salute to one of Texas' greatest fallen sons.

And haters: take it elsewhere; this ain't the place

• Members

I always remember he passed away in 1990 around this time of year.  Never remember the exact date, but IIRC, it was pretty much exactly one week after wife no. 1 walked out the door.  And after all these years, I still miss Stevie :smileywink:

IMO, he not only "brought the blues to the white boys" (as so many folks paraphrase) but more importantly, he took it to another level that kept the foundation solidy planted, but also added a wall of tone and sound mostly arising from his own fingers.  He's my favorite blues guitarist.  His music was getting possibly a bit more commercialized, but I think he would have continued to make sporadic valued contributions.  I first found him back around 85/86 by catching his famous performance on Austin Cithy Limits.   I kept waiting for the camera to pan around onto the other guitarsist.  When I realized it was just him, I was hooked.  Sad loss.

• Members

One of my all time favorites and biggest influences - not because I play like him or use many of his licks (at least, not anymore), but because he opened my ears.  Before SRV, if it didn't have a Marshall stack and pointy guitar, I wasn't interested.  SRV taught me that positive music could be just as powerful, or more, than heavy, chugging doom.  He played with such passion and power!  Like a lot of kids, my love of blues started with SRV, but quickly traced back through the decades.  I can't imagine what my musical tastes would have been like had a friend of mine not loaned me Texas Flood all those years ago.

Never saw him live, but my music teacher had tickets to see his last show at Alpine Valley and offered one to me.  I couldn't go for some reason or another.  The evening of the day he died, the local classic rock station - WAPL in Appleton, WI - did a tribute show to him that I recorded on cassette.  The DJ was getting a little choked up, and you could tell he was a big fan.  They played some clips of him jamming in the radio studio - stuff I've never heard since.  He did an improv blues with Chris Layton playing on a phone book, as well as a solo electric version of Dirty Pool that was just haunting.  Sadly, I loaned that tape to a band member many years ago and no longer have it.  If anyone's heard that "Chris Layton on the phone book" tune, let me know I'd love to hear it again.

• Members

My father-in-law saw him three times. I think two of those were up close and personal at a hotel jam session after gigs. He told that to one of his co-workers, who turned the picture on his desk around to reveal him and SRV arm and arm. It turns out, his co-worker was one of SRV's bodyguards, and supplied several good bootlegs to him. :)

Archived