Richie Sambora quits Bon Jovi after 30 years

Dr. Scottie C

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw the same thing elsewhere but it said he'd been fired over money: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Music/2013/08/23/Jon-Bon-Jovi-fires-Richie-Sambora-from-tour-report-says/UPI-31891377263903/. Must be a shock to go from making $20 million a month to living on royalties. Supposedly, his replacement, Philip "Phil X" Xenidis, will be making $10,000 a month. I'd take it but I can't play worth crap.

• Members

Phil is an awesome guy, multi-talented as sin, can backup vocals with the absolute best and a **** of a working guitarist (which is a distinctly different breed of animal than a bedroom stunt gutiarist)

He earned this. They couldn't have made a better choice.

• Members

Gitter wrote:

Phil is an awesome guy, multi-talented as sin, can backup vocals with the absolute best and a **** of a working guitarist (which is a distinctly different breed of animal than a bedroom stunt gutiarist)

Phil X is the frickin' man.

• Members

Gitter wrote:

Agreed. Plus, it didn't hurt him any that approx. 18 years ago, Bon Jovi's wife obviously decided she would have side dish of Sambora..... "Supposedly" When this sh*t hit the fan that Jon suspected Jesse wasn't biologically his was when Bon Jovi was spending every waking moment with country singer Jennifer Nettles and Heather Locklear called it quits with Sambora. (NOTE: Bon Jovi is still married to his one and only wife...of their 4 kids, 3 look like him, and Jesse as you can see above, looks like Sambora) 

Keep in mind, at this point, this is "National Enquirer" type speculation. No one has been to the Maury show yet with a half dozen men to figure out who da baby daddy is.

• Members

Don't get me wrong...I like Sambora. I think his "Stranger in this Town" is the best album put out by any member of the band....including Bon Jovi albums, but I haven't heard anyone complaining that went to a show where Phil was filling in...... the fact is, Phil, being a consumate professional, has every Sambora guitar part down note for note....so for his part, it's as close to the studio reproduction as you are going to get in a live setting.

• Members

mistersully wrote:

i dig phil x... but 10k a month?...., that can't be right... that's chump change compared to what he should be getting

Agreed, but no, those numbers are correct..... $120k a year for his services.

Jon Bon Jovi was getting 2 million a month, Sambora was getting a reported 1.7 million a month.

Sambora claims(and I believe rightfully so) that eventhough the band is named after it's lead singers fake name (actual name John Bongiovi) ... that he is a founding member of the band with Jon, co wrote just about every song lyrically, and DID write every song musically, so he feels that whatever Jon is getting, he should be too.

So I think we can all agree that 2 million a month is a little pricey for the services of a Jon or Richie, I do agree that Richie is entitled to whatever Jon is getting.

• Members

What do you think they pay a guitarist that did not have anything to do with the band? They are making him known to the masses other than youtubers that watch guitar players online, and if will broaden his opportunities

Youtube seems to be the go to when you have to find someone fast these days if they put a big name there it may piss people off but a nice youtuber everyone roots for. That's what Joe Perry did last time..

Maybe Richie will find his Youtube Jon.

• Members

120k IS nice, but frankly, I find it insulting to the guy. I'm sorry, but regardless of when he stepped in, he stepped in and is clearly playing the part well. You're taking in, what, a few million a night? Pay the guy, for god's sake, John. He's getting ripped off as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Wow. If Phil X needs lessons, then I should just quit!

Right. There is page after page of fans complaining that the "new guy sounds like he has been playing a week."

Let's keep in mind who the typical Bon Jovi fan is......** woman, age 35-45, slightly overweight to completely overweight now,(was probably somewhat doable in high school), who has let go of all of her dreams and aspirations except for she still thinks she may one day end up in bed with either Bon Jovi or Sambora.**

So I really doubt that these "Phil suxx ass" comments are coming from highly regarded musicians.... but rather pissed off soccer moms who feel their chances just got halved of getting their horns clipped by one of their fantasy men. 

Phil's look lends itself more to those that enjoy goat sacrifice music, than to wannabe milfs trying to hide stretch marks:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR83Wmy2Zne4TOJGSLSpId

Archived