NGD Lord keep me out of pawn shops

silvershot

• Members

Talk to old timers about the 'glory days' of pawnshop guitars in the 70's and early 80's.... Going in and everything was a Fender or Gibson or Gretsch or Guild, 5-20 years old and under a few hundred bucks.

Obviously the enormous interest in vintage guitars combined with the information age put an end to that golden era but it's been quite some time since I went into a pawn shop where the instrument inventory wasn't either:

1) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff

2) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff, but with a couple 1990's Les Pauls and US Strats hanging on the wall behind the counter, priced at 200% of ebay.

It seems as though almost all of them have converted heavily to being more gold buyers than anything else. I swear to god, its been a decade since I met a pawn broker who seemed interested in selling his **** for 'pawnshop' prices.

• Members

I own one myself.  Never found the tone to be as Gretsch-like as its appearance is, but I do like the tone of mine with an ample dose of overdrive.  For some reason, that guitar makes me want to do my Nuge "Stranglehold" riff. 

N'joy

• Members

Gitter wrote:

Talk to old timers about the 'glory days' of pawnshop guitars in the 70's and early 80's.... Going in and everything was a Fender or Gibson or Gretsch or Guild, 5-20 years old and under a few hundred bucks.

Obviously the enormous interest in vintage guitars combined with the information age put an end to that golden era but it's been quite some time since I went into a pawn shop where the instrument inventory wasn't either:

1) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff

2) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff, but with a couple 1990's Les Pauls and US Strats hanging on the wall behind the counter, priced at 200% of ebay.

It seems as though almost all of them have converted heavily to being more gold buyers than anything else. I swear to god, its been a decade since I met a pawn broker who seemed interested in selling his **** for 'pawnshop' prices.

Amen, and that's what keeps me out of the Pawns these days.  Still, there are some bargains to be had on some of the mid-level stuff like the OP's Epi and some of the more obscure offerings.  Heard good things about those Wildcats and it looks killer, big congrats.:emoticon-tv-002:

Archived