X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD Lord keep me out of pawn shops

Epiphone Wildcat. Always wanted one of these or a Gretsch, this popped up first. Not a scratch on it056.JPG

Attached Files

Talk to old timers about the 'glory days' of pawnshop guitars in the 70's and early 80's.... Going in and everything was a Fender or Gibson or Gretsch or Guild, 5-20 years old and under a few hundred bucks.

Obviously the enormous interest in vintage guitars combined with the information age put an end to that golden era but it's been quite some time since I went into a pawn shop where the instrument inventory wasn't either:

1) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff

2) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff, but with a couple 1990's Les Pauls and US Strats hanging on the wall behind the counter, priced at 200% of ebay.

It seems as though almost all of them have converted heavily to being more gold buyers than anything else. I swear to god, its been a decade since I met a pawn broker who seemed interested in selling his **** for 'pawnshop' prices.

Comment

• wankdeplank
      wankdeplank commented
      Editing a comment

Gitter wrote:

Talk to old timers about the 'glory days' of pawnshop guitars in the 70's and early 80's.... Going in and everything was a Fender or Gibson or Gretsch or Guild, 5-20 years old and under a few hundred bucks.

Obviously the enormous interest in vintage guitars combined with the information age put an end to that golden era but it's been quite some time since I went into a pawn shop where the instrument inventory wasn't either:

1) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff

2) Made up entirely of bottom of the barrel import stuff, but with a couple 1990's Les Pauls and US Strats hanging on the wall behind the counter, priced at 200% of ebay.

It seems as though almost all of them have converted heavily to being more gold buyers than anything else. I swear to god, its been a decade since I met a pawn broker who seemed interested in selling his **** for 'pawnshop' prices.

Amen, and that's what keeps me out of the Pawns these days.  Still, there are some bargains to be had on some of the mid-level stuff like the OP's Epi and some of the more obscure offerings.  Heard good things about those Wildcats and it looks killer, big congrats.:emoticon-tv-002:

HNGD! Wildcats are way cool.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

I own one myself.  Never found the tone to be as Gretsch-like as its appearance is, but I do like the tone of mine with an ample dose of overdrive.  For some reason, that guitar makes me want to do my Nuge "Stranglehold" riff. 

N'joy

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
      HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
      Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
      I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

• billybilly
        billybilly commented
        Editing a comment

Cool guitar, nice score!  

Nice. I got mine new. Your's looks brand new. I play mine (I'm a "home player") for a while just about every day. It is a cool guitar indeed.:smiley-music021:

Trooper #179. Epiphone Sorrento 50th ann. reissue, Riviera P93 (wine red, black pearl, gold), Wildkat, ES-355, SG 400, Dot Studio, ES-335 Pro, LP Standard Pro+, LP Junior , EL-00, Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Strat, Deluxe Stratocaster, Affinity Tele, Greco electric double cut, Gibson LPJ, Les Paul Special Humbucker, Montaya LP, Regal Duolian RC-2, Marcus Martini A mandolin, Valencia A electric mandolin, Savannah F mandolin, Maestro mando-caster, Ktone F mandolin, Stella 12 string acoustic, Hondo H-320, Yamaha F325, Rogue 6 string lap steel, Warmouth P bass, Vox Amplug AC30 and cabinet, Mini 3 G2, AromA mini recording amp, Digitech Whammy V5 and MIDI controller, T C Electronic Transition and Flashback loopers, Boss Distortion DS-1, Electro-Harmonics Ravish sitar simulator w/ 2 MOOG expression pedals, Epiphone tweed mini, studio acoustic 15C, Fender Mustang II V1 w/footswitch, Mustang Mini, Passport Mini, GDEC 3-30 w/4 button footswitch, Mustang 3 V2 w/ expression pedal and 4&2 button foot switches, Hiwatt Bulldog 20, Bugera V5 and 2x12 cabinet, Acoustic Lead 20, Marshall G10 MKII, NuX Amp Force, ZOOM G2Nu w/ expression pedal, SoundTech QM802 compact mixer. lol

Comment

Working...
      X