Do you normally by music gear new or used?

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

About half of my guitar collection is used. Most of my pedals were bought new, and of my amps, my AC30 amd cabs were all used, my AC15 was a B-stock former floor model, and AC4 and Pathfinder were new.

Whenever the price is good for what I'm looking for, I don't care, really. But I always shop used first.

• Members

Other than nick-nacks, I don't think I've *ever* bought a brand new piece of gear in my life. Also never bought a new car or a new house, nor will I ever.

My ideal piece of gear is dirt cheap and somehow broken so I can make some stupid repair and wind up with it for .10 cents on the dollar. Can't even tell how many amps I've bought as 'broken' that needed a nickles worth of contact cleaner.

Pretty comical, the utter mechanical incompotence in modern society, however I can definitely appreciate its critical importance to consumerism and if it weren't for all those geniuses buying new, it wouldn't the rest of us such a deep bench of used stuff to choose from for less money.

• Members

If I come across a used instrument and am in a buying mood, and I like it, I usually buy it. If, after a while, I don't like it, it goes back to the pawn shop, or maybe sell it to one of my kids friends. I wouldn't sell anyone a guitar with problems, unless that person didn't care. Most of the guitars that I have owned with problems ended up at the pawn shop, for $$ for a better instrument or 3.  

• Members

Gitter wrote:

Other than nick-nacks, I don't think I've *ever* bought a brand new piece of gear in my life. Also never bought a new car or a new house, nor will I ever.

My ideal piece of gear is dirt cheap and somehow broken so I can make some stupid repair and wind up with it for .10 cents on the dollar. Can't even tell how many amps I've bought as 'broken' that needed a nickles worth of contact cleaner.

Pretty comical, the utter mechanical incompotence in modern society, however I can definitely appreciate its critical importance to consumerism and if it weren't for all those geniuses buying new, it wouldn't the rest of us such a deep bench of used stuff to choose from for less money.

Give it a rest man.

Archived