Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best Squier you have ever played??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best Squier you have ever played??

Was it new? old? Chinese? Korean? Mexican? Indo?

What model? What was great about it?

What's the best way to eat a frog? Put one leg over each ear.<br><br>

CV 60s tele.  The thing resonated like crazy, and the feel of the neck was great.  I played a good number of that model, and they were all at least pretty good, but that one was very special.  I didn't pull the trigger because I was feeling kind of broke, and I was worried that the really thin neck would aggravate my carpal tunnel syndrome.

Comment

My Squier Bullet, with one single humbucker and volume control, sounds pretty great! The neck feels fine, but nut and bridge issues make the guitar more than a chore to play. Ome of these days, I'll try to fix those issues.

I player a CV Tele Custom, and I thought that it sounded fantastic. I didn't like the neck so much, though. The glossy back felt a little sticky (which was weird, since lots of guitars have painted necks), and the MIM Tele, by comparison, had a better carve. It sounded good enough, though, that I'd find one with a non-sticky neck and get used to the thinner carve.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

Comment

• lz4005
      lz4005 commented
      Editing a comment

A late-90's 'pro-tone' series Tele Special. I think they were Korean. It needed fret work right out of the box, but once I got that fixed the guitar played and sounded really great.

I've owned a crapload over the years. Best one was probably a MIJ Vista Series Super Sonic. USA build quality throughout. Close second is a Vintage Modicied Jaguar.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.<br><br><br><br>WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS<br><br><br><br>&quot;most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player&quot;<br><br><br><br>&quot;people overthink ****************&quot;<br><br><br><br>&quot;Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.&quot;<br><br><br><br>&quot;If it sounds good to you then it sounds good&quot;</div><br>The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

• Frets99
      Frets99 commented
      Editing a comment
      The Jagmaster is made well and fun to play.

I am still devoted to my 51, though.

I really dig my MiK Pro-Tone Squier Strat. A little slim but it has a nice satin finish on the neck!

<div class="signaturecontainer"><b><font color="royalblue">WTB: Menatone PiG OD Pedal</font></b><br />
    <br />
    <font size="2">Good deals with: reprove, Weathered, mitre </font></div>

Comment

I briefly owned a twin-humbucker Tele (apparently, not a "Telecaster") that felt and played great and had a ballsy growl to it.  I only paid $89 for it at a GC Independence Day sale ...

Squier Tele

Attached Files

Comment

• Wayne2
        Wayne2 commented
        Editing a comment

A used Jagmaster at Guitar Center.  The pickups were adjusted to some crazy angles and the neck was all beat to hell from someone throwing the guitar against the edge of a table or something.  Thing had mojo.

about 15 years ago, the local music store had a replica "Blackie" Stratocaster. I played it, wished I had got it. was nice.  

Trooper #179. Epiphone Sorrento 50th ann. reissue, Riviera P93 (wine red, black pearl, gold), Wildkat, ES-355, SG 400, Dot Studio, ES-335 Pro, LP Standard Pro+, LP Junior , EL-00, LP Special 1, Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Strat, Deluxe Stratocaster, Affinity Tele, Greco electric double cut, Gibson LPJ, Les Paul Special Humbucker, Montaya LP, Regal Duolian RC-2, Marcus Martini A mandolin, Valencia A electric mandolin, Savannah F mandolin, Maestro mando-caster, Ktone F mandolin, Stella 12 string acoustic, Hondo H-320, Yamaha F325, Rogue 6 string lap steel, Warmouth P bass, Vox Amplug AC30 and cabinet, Mini 3 G2, AromA mini recording amp, Digitech Whammy V5 and MIDI controller, T C Electronic Transition and Flashback loopers, Boss Distortion DS-1, Electro-Harmonics Ravish sitar simulator w/ 2 MOOG expression pedals, Epiphone tweed mini, studio acoustic 15C, Fender Mustang Mini w/footswitch, Passport Mini, GDEC 3-30 w/4 button footswitch, Mustang 3 V2 (40 watt) w/ expression pedal and 4&2 button foot switches, Hiwatt Bulldog 20, Bugera V5 and 2x12 cabinet, Acoustic Lead 20, Marshall G10 MKII, NuX Amp Force, ZOOM G2Nu w/ expression pedal, SoundTech QM802 compact mixer. lol

Comment

• peskypesky
        peskypesky commented
        Editing a comment

i love all of my Squiers (6 Strats and a Tele). After a proper set-up, and some mods, they all play great and sound great. But the top dog in terms of quality, fit and finish is probably the 1983 MIJ SQ-series:

SQ

Attached Files

Squier CV Neil Simon (Biffy Clyro) sig guitar, it's very reminiscent of the very best MIJ Fenders.

Nice thin finish, hybrid mag pickups as stock with Alnico V on the EAD strings and Alnico II on the treble strings, nice medium neck, great sound.

SN1

SN2

IMHO in the top 10\% of the best Strats that one can buy/build or that exist

Attached Files
      Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

• thom
        thom commented
        Editing a comment

Haven't played a ton of em, so I'm not an authority on the subject...

But so far my 50s style Squier strat is about the closest I've gotten to the feel and sound of a more expensive non-squier fender. Early '90s, MIJ Fuji-Gen, I forget the exact date/year it was build. 

I've never gotten the chance to try it side by side with a new 50s Squier CV though. And I haven't played an early 80s Squier JV either, I'm kinda curious wether those are actually worth the jacked up collectors prices or if the CV series or 90s MIJ models play/sounds just as good....

CV 60s Strat

My CV 60s Strat; upgraded the electronics and added a Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch (http://www.deaf-eddie.net/chromie.html) and a Fralin baseplate under the bridge pup.  

Possibly the most versatile guitar I've ever played this side of my old Gibson MIII Standard (which still languishes in its case in a closet).

Attached Files
      Vintage Sunburst Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | 3TS Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran Bucket acoustic-electric | Fender Super Champ XD: Eminence Ragin' Cajun; JJ Tubes | Fender G-Dec III 30: Eminence Ragin' Cajun

Comment

Easy,

I picked up this Classic Vibe Tele. It was in the local Music store and was sold. It came back about 6 months later because the bridge pickup died. Owner of the store put in a Bill Lawrence and that was that, I have to buy it.

It is hands down one of the best feeling guitars that I have ever played and with that Lawrence pickup it sounds amazing.

Classic Vibe Tele

High Res Image: 60's Classic Vibe Tele

Attached Files
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>GuitarHeads: <a href="http://www.guitarheads.org" target="_blank">http://www.guitarheads.org</a><br><br>Some of My Music: <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/scottabene" target="_blank">Scott Abene - Reverb Nation</a></b><br><br><br><br><br><br><font size="1"><b><i>&quot;Ich bin Jung und brauche das Geld&quot;</i></b><br><br>-Eko Fresh</font></div>

Comment

• falseknight
          falseknight commented
          Editing a comment
          Very early 80s MIJ Tele. Must have been one of the first in UK. Actually played and sounded better than my early 70s American Tele...

I've enjoyed playing these two Squier guitars that I have recently aquired. The red one is an Affinity Strat, and the blue one is a "deluxe" Stratocaster. I really enjoy playing both of these. The deluxe has "Duncan Designed" pickups, gives the tone a subtile, mellower one, but can also kick it too. I think both are darn nice for what they are, and the cost. I had a Bullet strat for a short time. The wang bar bound up, wouldnt stay in tune. These two Squiers are much nicer overall.

squiers

Attached Files
        Trooper #179. Epiphone Sorrento 50th ann. reissue, Riviera P93 (wine red, black pearl, gold), Wildkat, ES-355, SG 400, Dot Studio, ES-335 Pro, LP Standard Pro+, LP Junior , EL-00, LP Special 1, Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Strat, Deluxe Stratocaster, Affinity Tele, Greco electric double cut, Gibson LPJ, Les Paul Special Humbucker, Montaya LP, Regal Duolian RC-2, Marcus Martini A mandolin, Valencia A electric mandolin, Savannah F mandolin, Maestro mando-caster, Ktone F mandolin, Stella 12 string acoustic, Hondo H-320, Yamaha F325, Rogue 6 string lap steel, Warmouth P bass, Vox Amplug AC30 and cabinet, Mini 3 G2, AromA mini recording amp, Digitech Whammy V5 and MIDI controller, T C Electronic Transition and Flashback loopers, Boss Distortion DS-1, Electro-Harmonics Ravish sitar simulator w/ 2 MOOG expression pedals, Epiphone tweed mini, studio acoustic 15C, Fender Mustang Mini w/footswitch, Passport Mini, GDEC 3-30 w/4 button footswitch, Mustang 3 V2 (40 watt) w/ expression pedal and 4&2 button foot switches, Hiwatt Bulldog 20, Bugera V5 and 2x12 cabinet, Acoustic Lead 20, Marshall G10 MKII, NuX Amp Force, ZOOM G2Nu w/ expression pedal, SoundTech QM802 compact mixer. lol

Comment

1989 MIJ Squire Tele. I miss that guitar.
          Boutique Effects - Hand Made in Nashville, TN<br><br>http://www.rtelectronix.com/

Comment

• onelife
            onelife commented
            Editing a comment

Mine is a first run JV Stratocaster I bought new in 1982. A friend of mine had just scored a 1954 and I too wanted a 25 year old strat but couldn't find or afford one. I was very impressed with the MIJ models when they first came out and played at least a dozen of them when mine found me.

Now my Squier is 30 years old, loaded with Kinman pickups and still goes to gigs for a few songs tuned a half-step down.

Squier Affinity with Red Lace Sensor Dually. Sounds and feels amazing. 

Attached Files
          --------------------------------------------<br>Gibson Les Paul<br>Fender MIM Stratocaster<br>Custom Telecaster Plus<br>Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue<br>Peavey Vypyr 200<br>Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Comment

The best Squier I ever played was an early to mid-1980s Japanese Squier Telecaster.  

Comment

• DaveAronow
              DaveAronow commented
              Editing a comment

Lets see?

I've plaid My kind of lover, In the dark, The Stroke, but I think my favorite was Lonely is the night.

Might be a couple others Im forgetting.

Working...
          X