Favorite guitar under $200?

Ahiboa

• Members

Unlike some guitar players/collectors. I have a 'thing' for cheapo guitars and pushing them over some people's standards and/or expectancies. :)

So what are your favorite guitars under $200? Doesn't matter of new or used, stock or modified, anything goes!

Mine is my DeArmond M-55, sounds beast with the Bill Lawrence pickup in it! :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

photo DSCN8558_zpsc2fa303c.jpg photo DSCN8560_zps20433c13.jpg

A fantastic Austin Tele. I picked it up with low expectations, and had to have it. The neck felt so good, the body was so rough against my body because its thinner than a Fender, and the sound... It was all Tele. I took the pickguard off for a different look, and I want to change the pickups, but I could definitely keep it the way it is and be happy.

• Members

As far as just walking into a store and buying (or going to a site and adding to cart, as it were) the Monoprice LP-style Route 66 is a fantastic steal at $139.  You may have to do a little setup work, but it's on par with most of the $299 -$349 models you'd find ...

Route66\_45.jpg

• Members

These days, you can get a fantastic playing instrument for a couple hundred bucks.

You kids don't know how lucky you have it [vigorously shakes cane in the air]

That said, the $200 zone is JUST below the $300 zone, where you can start getting into Japanese instruments from the 80's that are absurdly well made and really undervalued. Like, in the $300/$400 pocket you can get original 80's Ibanezes and Charvels that are not only A+ players, but massive cool factor.

I don't think this will stay this way forever. The price of Matsumoku stuff has basically doubled in the past 5 years or so. I don't see being able to buy a circa 1980's Japanese made Charvel for $350 forever...

Sorry for not staying in the parameters of the question but my advice for anyone who has $200 is to save the extra $100-$150 and buy an instrument you can really be proud to own and that plays as well as anything. If you're really patient and can save another $300, now you're getting in the range where you start picking off Ibanez RG550, Charvel Model 6's and the like which, ya know... are basically amazing instruments.

• Members

New? My first guitar, Yamaha Pacifica 112j. Yeah, it's kind of boring, but I'm still surprised how well it's made- when I'm looking at stuff in stores I often see flaws in them (sharp fret ends especially) that just don't exist on the 112.

Used? Yamaha Pacifica 921, although $200 is pushing it since I paid that to a guy off Craigslist but it needed some parts. Beautiful neck and the neck pickup is just great.

• Members

$200 is a pretty inefficient use of capital when something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Charvel-Model-3dr-/111163880981?pt=Guitar&hash=item19e1e23615

is available at $350 (I doubt it makes it out of today before someone hits the BIN)

OK, so add shipping, you're nearer $400 but there are absolutely no two $200 guitars in the Rondo catalog that I'd trade a legit Charvel 3dr for.

• Members

Gitter wrote:

$200 is a pretty inefficient use of capital when something like this:

is available at $350 (I doubt it makes it out of today before someone hits the BIN)

OK, so add shipping, you're nearer $400 but there are absolutely no two $200 guitars in the Rondo catalog that I'd trade a legit Charvel 3dr for.

Dude, I know exactly where you're coming from.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Not everyone likes the pointy reverse headstocks, Gitter, or locking whammys for that matter. To each his/her own.

Why would anyone care what the headstock was shaped like? 

Sure, to each his own, but people who buy guitars based on 'looks' are.... dumb... to put it mildly.

• Members

Well, I wouldn't call them dumb. It's kind of like saying, "People who wear jeans are stupid, because khakis are clearly more comfortable, easier to match with shirts, and function better in both casual and dressy situations. You people following fashion are just stupid, because you base your choices on purely illogical and unprovable factors."

Or something like that.

Not saying your 80s Charvels aren't great, but the aesthetic isn't for everyone.

And again, not everyone likes Floyds or double-locking whammys. If you use lots of alternate tunings or double stop bends, that particular model wouldn't be very desirable.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Well, I wouldn't call them dumb. It's kind of like saying, "People who wear jeans are stupid, because khakis are clearly more comfortable, easier to match with shirts, and function better in both casual and dressy situations. You people following fashion are just stupid, because you base your choices on purely illogical and unprovable factors."

Terrible analogy.

An appropriate one would be "I'm not going to buy that hammer because it has a red handle and, well, I want one with a yellow handle..."

I realize that to some people guitars aren't tools, they're fetish objects or perhaps their connection to imitating some artist whose music they find inspiring but ultimately, instruments serve a utilitarian function. I maintain the further one strays from a utilitarian, practical understanding of instruments, the worse and worse their understanding becomes.

By the time you arrive at people who pick instruments based on looks... well...like I said... Dumb...

• Members

Well, no, my analogy isn't terrible. You take two identical objects and change the color. I took two very similar objects with the same basic function, and changed the visual style. I said "not everyone likes pointy with Floyds" not "not everyone likes blue guitars". See? No? Whatever.

But it doesn't matter. You have a subjective opinion. So do others. And the earth spins the same regardless.

• Members

Easy vagina owners.... there are no right or wrong answers here.

You couldn't pay me to own and mess with anything with a Floyd Rose...

And while many get stiffy's over hollowbodies..... they are like watching a Whoopi Goldberg striptease for me.

But.... just because **I** don't like these, doesn't mean they suck.... just not for me.

• Members

If you don't mind the aesthetic, you can get a great superstrat for the money. There is definitely a bit of a revival of these guitars going on, though. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy never playing a Floyd equipped guitar again.

It's ridiculous to think that the look of a guitar doesn't matter. Perhaps if you're purely a studio musician. Even then, though, if you showed up to play a session on a country recording with nothing but neon colored Ibanez and BC Rich shredders, better believe you're gonna get judged. As with any performing art, image matters.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Well, no, my analogy isn't terrible.

It was, but the more important point to be taken away from this discussion is that to some people, guitars are a fashion accessory, not a musical tool. (and "some" is being generous. 'Most' would still be an understatement)

Nobody is saying you're not entitled to own guitars for whatever reason you please but legitimate, utilitarian reasons aside (for example, totally legit if you don't like locking trem systems, etc), if someone seriously emphasizes the 'pointiness' of the headstock anywhere in the decision making of what instrument to buy, that's someone who has an opinion worth absolutely nothing to anyone.

Also, without opening up another can of worms, 'genre specific guitars' is another failboat.

Archived