NEW TAKE ON COIL SPLITTING ?

gardo

• Members

I found this video (which is a lot of talking) where the guy wants single coil sound so he takes six polepiece screws out of his humbuckers . It does change the sound but the obvious disadvantage is not being able to hit a switch to change back  the advantage is that it's noiseless.

What do you think about the idea? 

• Members

Dougy wrote:

I think 
you 
should try it and report back to us.

:rolleyes:

I don't mind to try if I have a reasonable chance to do it without causing problems and ruining a good pickup.  I don't disassemble pickups so I'll wait to hear from someone who does.

• Members

I've seen other videos by this guy, and a lot of what he says is BS, but this is an interesting concept.  Essentially you have created a noisless single coil, only with higher impedience than most singles.  The second coil becomes a dummy coil, but the overall impedence stays the same as the full humbucker.  Not the same as a coil split, because with a coil split the current doesn't pass through the second coil, and impedence is reduced.

So I tried it, and IT WORKS!  Just like he said... sounds like a tele only with more balls.  There is a slight drop in volume, similar to what you would get with a coil split.

Go ahead and try it yourself.  It won't hurt anything.  If your pickup is potted, some of the wax will flake out, but that's about it..

• Members

stormin1155 wrote:

So I tried it, and IT WORKS!  Just like he said... sounds like a tele only with more balls.  There is a slight drop in volume, similar to what you would get with a coil split.

Go ahead and try it yourself.  It won't hurt anything.  If your pickup is potted, some of the wax will flake out, but that's about it..

The only thing I'm cocerned about is getting the screws back into proper adjustment again.

Archived