Show me your Yamaha SG (gibson fans this is not for you)

bodezeffas

• Members

There are many guitar players out there who have the same love for Yamaha SG guitars that I do. I have owned more than a few Gibson SGs and Les Pauls, but I always seem to come back to this classic.

My collection consists of:

1 - SBG1996 30th Anniversary #79 of 120 (NearMint)

2 - SG-2004 Amber Quilt Top from Santana's personal collection (NearMint) only 20 made

3 - SG-2000 Cherry Sunburst 1984 (Very Good++ 'slight fogging on rear")

4 - SBG-3000 Cream 1983 (Very Good+ 'top and neck and back are clean)

5 - SBG-3000 Black sprinkle 1984 (NearMint)

Here are my Yamaha SG axes. The only one in this set that is not rare is the all time favorite SG/SBG2000. I will post some better pictures with close ups and lighting later...

Right to left:

SG2000, SG2004, SBG1996, SBG3000

yamaha1.jpg

Yamaha SBG3000

Yamaha

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very nice collection! I have had this SG2000 since 1976 when I bought it. I chose it over a LP custom..the Yamaha was $50 MORE than the LP at the time and was worth it. Many thousands of hours and miles it is retired. I just got another Parker to replace it as a backup. This one will be available to someone who wants a player and a fine guitar soon...

SGfront4.jpg

it has a shaved neck, refret, Seymore Duncans, coil taps/phase. Was once wired for stereo.

original case...

SGfull.jpg

neck...

SGneck1.jpg

buckle rash..

SGback2.jpg

Great guitar.

• Members

Very nice collection! I have had this SG2000 since 1976 when I bought it. I chose it over a LP custom..the Yamaha was $50 MORE than the LP at the time and was worth it. Many thousands of hours and miles it is retired. I just got another Parker to replace it as a backup. This one will be available to someone who wants a player and a fine guitar soon...

SGfront4.jpg

it has a shaved neck, refret, Seymore Duncans, coil taps/phase. Was once wired for stereo.

original case...

SGfull.jpg

neck...

SGneck1.jpg

buckle rash..

SGback2.jpg

Great guitar.

That is beautiful!

:thu:

• Members

Here's mine, a Yamaha SBG1200. It's a very solid guitar. Weighs a ton but I have a comfortable strap for it.

It came with some battle scars so I got it for a song on craigslist. I bought it for the lowest price out of all my guitars. :D

CIMG0973.jpg

• Members

Here's mine, a Yamaha SBG1200. It's a very solid guitar. Weighs a ton but I have a comfortable strap for it.

It came with some battle scars so I got it for a song on craigslist. I bought it for the lowest price out of all my guitars.
:D

CIMG0973.jpg

Battle scars, eh? what kind of battle was that? Looks mint to me :idk: :phil:

• Members

Battle scars, eh? what kind of battle was that? Looks mint to me
:idk:
:phil:

Thanks.

There was a chunk of finish about the size of a dime missing from the low E side of the neck, right down to the wood. I drop filled it with super glue that I purchased from Stew Mac, leveled it with a razor blade and sanded it flush.

CIMG0979.jpg

The repair is visible (I don't think you can make it invisible with a poly finish) but it feels flush now so it doesn't bother me when I'm playing.

There are some dings on the edge of the body where the finish is gone.

But as you said, the face looks mint so I was very happy with the purchase.

I tell you, I almost ran out of the seller's home I got such a deal on it. I felt like I stole it. :evil:

• Members

SGfront4.jpg

original case...

SGfull.jpg

neck...

SGneck1.jpg

buckle rash..

SGback2.jpg

Great guitar.

PM sent! :thu:

• Members

CIMG0973.jpg

I like that it has a three piece top. To me, a "real" SG2000 (or 1200) has a three piece top. That's how they designed it. And believe me, Yamaha cut no corners when they designed this one. Of all the guitars from the OP, the one I would pick is without a question the one on the left. Here's an ad from the time where you can see plainly what the top of the real thing looks like:

SG2000ad.jpg

• Members

I love those Yamaha SG2000s i had one in the late 80's when I was 16 but sold it to buy a 1978 fender telecaster. I have a very nice Gibson & Fender collection but I have been on the lookout for a nice 70's or early 80's Yamaha SG2000. I lost a few auction on ebay in the past 6 months for one, but I know eventaully one will come my way.

• Members

Not my tie. I haven't had whale for weeks.

Yeah, the one on the right is the current/old sig model for the artist whose name escapes me who is endorsing the current SGs. If you`re around a decent bookshop this week, have a look for the Jazz mag with Pat Metheney on the cover - it`s got an interview with the guy in question (Inoran? is that it?) and some better shots of the SGs.

edit - Jazz Life. That`s the mag.

• Members

damn. Not inoran. ????. Noro Issei. With these guys:
http://www.casiopea.co.jp/

See, that's why I love HC! Always on the ball, awake 24/7, your eyes around the globe, conversant in every language!

The CD covers are endorsements by themselves: http://www.casiopea.co.jp/rel_cd.html

This evolution of the horn is just what I have been waiting for, albeit short. I wonder what this model is called. Perhaps we can find it at http://yamaha.jp/ ? I did a seach for SG2000 hoping it was grouped with those, but it didn't show.

j_inspire.jpg

Archived