Difficulty setting intonation on low E string

Annoying Twit

• Members

I'm having trouble setting the intonation on a low E string on a Yamaha Pacifica (with trem).

All the other strings were easy to set. But, the low E string is sharp when fretted at the 12th fret, and goes very sharp above that.

I've made the string as long as I can at the bridge, but it's too sharp. I'm now considering removing the string from the bridge saddle so that I can move the bridge saddle as far back (longer string) as I can. But, is there anything else I should be looking at?

I've filed the nut on this guitar, and I'm confident that the nut is cut to a reasonable height for that string. The trem seems to be adjusted properly, and works fine. (Not that I use a trem much). The other strings are fine, being properly intonated at a reasonable (not extreme) position for the bridge saddles. It's only the low E string that's problematic.

It's a pity really as particularly now that I've worked on the nut, it does seem a very nice guitar. But it has this intonation problem and I don't know what to do.

• Members

I don't know how much more space I need. I think it's worth trying no spring at all. Then, if the string goes flat if I utterly max out the saddle, I can look into a shorter spring.

Reading around, I see that playing technique can cause  intonation problems. But I don't have problems on other guitars. It could be a faulty string. I have a new set on order and arriving soon. So, I'll try swapping them. But I'm still mystified as to what is causing this problem.

Archived